This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

I managed to pike through on floor but need help

Started by katlinchen, March 4, 2015 · 7 Replies · 230 Views

katlinchen

I finally managed to Pike through on floor, but only if I am on my fingertips. Well not really on fingertips, but like the boy in this video, just fingertips facing forward!



I can V-Sit Pike through to Pike Press Handstand on flat palms only if I am using 1.6 inches books. 


Now I have two questions:

1) Is it cheating to do it on fingertips?

2) If not; once I piked through and beginning the Pike Press Up, should I remain on my fingertips like the boy in the video or should I drop down to flat palms during the press up?

I don't know why, but I find it pretty hard to press up like this, also from a stand. I actually find it harder than piking through  :facepalm: 
Are there any tips for strengthening the muscles I need to press up on my fingertips?

I can do it, but it is pretty rushed and sometimes I collapse on the way up and it kind of hurts my fingers...

Thank You
Keilani Gutierrez

i might be stating the obvious, but using someone elses video will invoke cues to fix their specific problems. if you use your own recorded material, specific fixes can be given to your own form :)

 

Micawberian

Well, I think you are the most advanced person on the H2 forum, so maybe Coach Sommer is the best to answer this. But, why not continue to build more compression until you can do the press with palms flat? Seems like from that video that entry into HS on fingertips sacrifices the press technique and line.

Coach Sommer

Fingertips is fine for now. Video please. ;)

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

katlinchen
Coach Sommer said:

Fingertips is fine for now. Video please. ;)

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Okay, great. So I will work on both - piking through on fingertips as well as with flat palms on slightly raised surfaces.

I will soon upload a video of different presses anyways, because I have some more questions, for example how "fast" you should pike through and if it is cheating to do it with a little momentum, etc...

I just need to find some time get some good clips of me not horribly sweaty and exhausted from gym  ^_^

Coach Sommer

Let's get those videos up!  Sweaty and exhausted do not bother us in the least.  This is a training forum, not a fashion show runway.  ;)

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

katlinchen

Haha, that is true! I am pretty busy at the moment with university and I will only be able to make some new videos at home on Sunday at the earliest. I usually train my presses at the gym but I am not a huge fan of making videos of myself in the gym!

However, here are some clips I put together about 2 or 3 weeks ago. Unfortunately, this is all I have at the moment, but should give you an impression. Nothing really changed since then.

You can see the pike presses starting at 0:28secs. The last one - where I am on my fingertips - is the one I mentioned. If I start from L-Sit or V-Sit and not lower down first and use some momentum I can press up all the way to handstand, but it is totally rushed and not controlled at all. I mostly collapse on the way up because I can't press up on my fingertips that well!
 

As you can see in the video, I get through but as soon as I should beginn to press to handstand, my shoulder falls backwards and I fail, because when I try to press up I need to lean forward a little but then I collapse... I guess my shoulders need to get stronger!?

Also, I do know that I need to work on my compression a lot more.

But maybe you guys can point out some more mistakes and give some training tips!

Here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP3jsnP4y5w