As I am progressing to more difficult exercises and variations I am becoming increasingly aware of the mental part of gymnastics training. The mind is a powerful thing and can be a major help or hindrance in achieving physical goals. Watching gymnasts preform at the very highest level of physical strength and in such a calm and collected manner is truly a sight to behold. In static held positions I am much better at keeping myself calm and focused but when I do more dynamic exercises I have a real problem. I have been doing all kinds of flips for almost a year now and have gotten good at them but it still scares the shit out of me. It is the same for back handsprings, I can drop backwards into a bridge then into a handstand moving slowly with control but I still hate doing back handsprings. It is not from lack of traning because I do these even though I do not like to. There is some mental barier that I need to break and it is just not happening. I would love to hear from coaches experience with his athletes and anyone else who went through something like this.
Andrew