This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Can't get into position for Thoracic Bridge stretches

Started by Cameron Williams (Suspect 001), March 2, 2015 · 11 Replies · 688 Views

Cameron Williams (Suspect 001)

Hi there,

 

There are a few thoracic bridge stretches in the new stretch course that I can't even get into, let alone hold for 60 seconds, and I didn't see any suggestions for scaling.

 

I'd give the specific stretch names, except the site seems to be down for maintenance at the moment.

 

But in any case, how do I scale some of these thoracic bridge stretches?

 

The issue seems the be shoulder strength... I just can't push myself up into position. I can do the bridge with my feet on the floor, but not with my feet up on the bar, and I find it hard to feel the stretch in my upper back when my feet are on the floor.

 

Suggestions are welcome!

 

Thanks,

 

Cam

ausswe

Can you get your head even a little bit off the floor? I found if I push up a little bit I can get onto the top of my head then I move my hands further back and am able to push up. If you still can't push up just keep trying for as long as you can then come back down into your head and try again ASAP and keep doing that until the time is up? Don't know if this is good advice so wait for others hopefully coach to chime in

curtis

I was stuck to the floor first couple attempts, but after raising the foot position one rung higher and concentrating on using more assistance from the legs I was able to push up. Momentum might help from the hip and legs. Try stacking pillows or some object beneath you.

Espen Lofthus

I am also struggling alot with the last TBs.

 

As for me, I did these kicking my legs up in a handstand with my hands about 2.5-3 feet (75-90cm) from the wall. In this way I could also use my leg to press further in to the stretch. For this weeks TBs I will try to place a box to the wall and then first try to place one feet on it using the same method kicking up. After I have managed to place both feet on the box I will gradually lower the box to eventually get to something like Orange. Maybe coach or someone in the team has some better progressions for this.

 

I also tried using a rubber band attached to a pull-up bar and placed this on my upper back. I then managed to press up in a bridge while my feet were on a bar. But I was not able to extend my arms and I also had Coach's voice in my head saying banded pull-up is God's bastard creation (from podcast with Barbell Shrugged). I figuered he would say the same about banded bridge work :P.

Coach Sommer

For those of you with zombie spines, kick up into a handstand and then begin gradually working your legs down lower as you master the later thoracic bridge exercises.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Cole Dano

Another option is to lay on that gymnastic ball so you don't have  to push all the way from the ground. 

Coach Sommer

I will disagree with Cole here; do not use the theraball to help get up into position.  The whole point of the final bridge variations is for the thoracic spine to mobiize under load which using the theraball would negate.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

NoHiddenCosts
Cameron Williams said:

I can do the bridge with my feet on the floor, but not with my feet up on the bar

 

Push up into a bridge with your feet near the base of where the bar is, lift one leg up and put that foot on the bar, push up and bring the other leg up. That's how I do it!

Brian Card
Coach Sommer said:

For those of you with zombie spines, kick up into a handstand and then begin gradually working your legs down lower as you master the later thoracic bridge exercises.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

I guess this means I will have to practice kicking up into a handstand (with back facing the wall) before I can use this scaling.

Primate
Coach Sommer said:

For those of you with zombie spines, kick up into a handstand and then begin gradually working your legs down lower as you master the later thoracic bridge exercises.

 

 

I came here to post this exact question.  Unfortunately I don't have stall bars yet.  I guess there's no avoiding them.  I can't see any other way for me other than this suggestion from Coach.  I make zombies look like ragdolls!

Keegan

Just put your feet on the wall. It's not as stable as stall bars, but doable.

Sven Ravnstag
Coach Sommer said:

The whole point of the final bridge variations is for the thoracic spine to mobiize under load which using the theraball would negate.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

And mobilize it does! I managed all of the bridge variations except for hip taps two days ago, and I'm still pleasantly sore throughout the whole thoracic/neck area.

It seems like pressing into this position allows me to get the ROM I can't currently with ABHs by using the help of the arms/shoulders without taking the muscles of the back out of the equation all together.

I like all of the stretch courses, but thoracic bridge is my favorite by a long shot. Probably because I need it the most.