This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Trouble with Undergrip korean dips

Started by Josh Wilensky, March 2, 2015 · 9 Replies · 332 Views

Josh Wilensky

I am on the 3rd block of korean dips now and find them quite easy now after listening to what people were saying about keeping tight and rhythm. I tried to do an Undergrip korean dip and I can't even do 1 properly. I find the movement very awkward on my wrists and ulnar aspects of my forearms. I basically get stuck at the bottom of the movement and can't press up at all. Occasionally I was able to press all the way up but it was not controlled and I had to let go of the bar. Any tips or explanation why i am able to do regular korean dips, but cannot do Undergrip korean dips? Thanks.

Jeremy Huston

My guess without seeing a video is lack of flexibility to get your hands close enough together.

J0X

sounds like poor shoulder mobility. I think undergrip is far less stressful on wrists and it was easier for me than normal grip.

Josh Wilensky

Any recs for getting through these? Should I just work on negatives to work on my range of motion/mobility?

Jeremy Huston

Redo the over grip KDs with hands shoulderwidth apart.

William

Just warm up in a proper way, very intense exercise for shoulders, that s why i recommend to keep the normal grip korean dips one more circle at least, maybe recheck also your form there.

Good luck!

Mark Collins

I also struggled to get these and was very annoyed. After a month they just clicked. I keep these in my warm up and they are getting better with the stretching series that has improved my shoulder mobility.

Mats Trane

Like said above sounds like a mobility issue. For me it was definitely a mobility issue. One thing that helped me to fix this was to go back to bench dips BUT I turned my hands so the fingers pointed backwards.

Jon Douglas

I found getting the hang of keeping my weight over one point on the heel of my hands made the biggest difference here. Felt like it allowed me to push straight down rather than at an odd angle.

Josh Wilensky

Thanks for the help. I think I have it now.