This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Struggling with the Straddle up (MN/PE2)

Started by Ricardo Vasquez, March 2, 2015 · 4 Replies · 385 Views

Ricardo Vasquez

Whats up everyone? 

 

I'm struggling quite a bit with MN/ PE2 aka straddle up despite completing the tuck-ups quite easily. 

I don't think its my core strength so much as my hips being quite weak.  Perhaps its both. 

 

Any suggestions?  I feel as though Id need another progression in between these 2.

 

Thanks 

Alexander Egebak

You would want to look into pancake stretching, preferably weighted pancake stretching. Keep in mind that straddle ups become more like skill work as you work your flexibility. So doing a lot of small sets of perfect reps is the best approach, really actively focusing on getting as much range of motion as possible.

 

While working on your straddle ups your main strength endurance will come from your hollow holds, and therefore those are very important and should be prioritized highly.

Sven Ravnstag

Another thing that has helped me is realizing just how high the contact point on the back actually is in order to facilitate the mind of hip/leg compression necessary to get the legs up high.

Sean Hunter

Things that helped me the most, other than time, were leading the movement from the nose, working pancake flexibility, and doing some active straddle work right before my MN/PE2 sets.

 

Good Luck

kingzlo
Ricardo Vasquez said:

Whats up everyone? 

 

I'm struggling quite a bit with MN/ PE2 aka straddle up despite completing the tuck-ups quite easily. 

I don't think its my core strength so much as my hips being quite weak.  Perhaps its both. 

 

Any suggestions?  I feel as though Id need another progression in between these 2.

 

Thanks 

This routine was hard for me as well.  The body has to get used to it, slowly but surely, literally.  The muscles, especially the connecting joints (and ligaments) have to get used to the movement for that "muscle memory".  I remember going in slow (feeling the muscles activated in the struggle) at first @ Block1 and eventually getting used to it.