Hey guys, really loving the Foundation 1 series, and am just starting my first deload phase! Anyway, two questions for you:
1) I just figured out the scapular retraction part of RC/PE1 and that made it loads harder! I am going to need to repeat segment two. However, I can easily achieve mastery on RC/PE2. Would there be any reason not to work on RC/PE3 (or maybe segment 3 of RC/PE2) on another day? I am currently doing the 4 day split, and the MN/SLS/SL day is a pretty short work out, I feel like I could do more on that day. Thoughts?
2) I'm just getting into becoming a triathlete, and am running/swimming diligently (haven't started biking yet). I'm also taking night classes. This leaves me strapped for time. What are your thoughts on combining the workouts? Say...workout 3x a week and do F7? I tried this once and it was difficult, to say the least (especially SLS/PE1 at mastery! that's alot of squats at the end of a workout) but is there any reason not to do this?
Thanks for taking the time to read this guys, and I appreciate the advice! Have a great day!
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Combining Workouts/Combining Elements
Started by Cody Frank, March 1, 2015 · 3 Replies · 216 Views
1) Don't jump ahead. Don't start working on further PEs until you have the previous one mastered. If you can already do PE2 you'll pass that without problems once you're done with PE1 ![]()
2) As far as schedule is concerned, there are a lot of options. A couple of months ago I switched from the 4 days a-b split to 2 days of F7. It was brutal, but after a few weeks your body get used to it (it also helps if you reach further PEs that have lower volume requirements:) ) It is doable and if you have limited time like many of us and it's a great way to get all of your conditioning work done, without the risk of missing some workouts!
1. There's nothing to be gained from working RC/PE1 and RC/PE3 at the same time. Progress is a two-stroke engine. First you work out. Then you allow your body to recover. If you stress your body in the same way before it has recovered, you're just wearing yourself down without gaining anything. If your SL/SLS/MN day is too light, try adding in more mobility work, or some stretching.
2. It sounds like F7 3x/wk was too much volume for you. Perhaps try doing F7 2x/week?
EdStand said:1) Don't jump ahead. Don't start working on further PEs until you have the previous one mastered. If you can already do PE2 you'll pass that without problems once you're done with PE1
2) As far as schedule is concerned, there are a lot of options. A couple of months ago I switched from the 4 days a-b split to 2 days of F7. It was brutal, but after a few weeks your body get used to it (it also helps if you reach further PEs that have lower volume requirements:) ) It is doable and if you have limited time like many of us and it's a great way to get all of your conditioning work done, without the risk of missing some workouts!
Thanks. That's good to hear that it gets easier. I can see how the higher level low volume stuff wouldn't be so bad.
Joshua Slocum said:
1. There's nothing to be gained from working RC/PE1 and RC/PE3 at the same time. Progress is a two-stroke engine. First you work out. Then you allow your body to recover. If you stress your body in the same way before it has recovered, you're just wearing yourself down without gaining anything. If your SL/SLS/MN day is too light, try adding in more mobility work, or some stretching.
2. It sounds like F7 3x/wk was too much volume for you. Perhaps try doing F7 2x/week?
1) Thanks. I get into this trap of thinking that more volume is better. Although, F1 exercsies individually are very low volume.
2) Actually I just tried one F7 so far. I did F7 one day and then the typical A/B split on two other days. I think it would have been easier had I done the MN/SLS/SL stuff first, then the RC/HBP/etc afterwards. It just sucked ending the workout on 5x15 SLS/PE1.