This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Crunchy knee?

Started by gohei_, March 1, 2015 · 4 Replies · 277 Views

gohei_

I did the Front Split series today and after the second set of 2pike2squat I noticed a distinct crunching noise from my left knee during the squat portion. Now, how bad is this?

There was no pain luckily but it did not sound good. I will be more careful with these next time and see if it happens again.

IronHarshaw
gohei_ said:

I did the Front Split series today and after the second set of 2pike2squat I noticed a distinct crunching noise from my left knee during the squat portion. Now, how bad is this?

There was no pain luckily but it did not sound good. I will be more careful with these next time and see if it happens again.

If there is no pain I doubt it is a serious problem. How is your squat strength in general? Normally if you have weak squat strength things tend to make popping and cracking sounds. After a few weeks this should disappear. Also check your form :)

gohei_
Joey Harshaw said:

If there is no pain I doubt it is a serious problem. How is your squat strength in general? Normally if you have weak squat strength things tend to make popping and cracking sounds. After a few weeks this should disappear. Also check your form :)

Thanks for your answer, F1 is my only leg work, apart from kung fu, and I am on PE2 at the moment. I know that pops and cracks aren't much to think about but this was more like a grinding noice. Hence my concern. But I will be more careful with my form on these next time.

Nick Roy

You're relying on connective tissue since your muscles haven't adapted to working together in that position "aka" not strong enough to handle it smoothly

DBeckerman

I have a similar issue in my L) knee in that when I squat to I hear almost a 'squelch' noise. It is not painful and doesn't limit my ROM and I have had it assessed by physio. I can perform full SLS and squat with weight on my back with no problems and I have had it for years!

 

If you can afford it I would get it checked by a physio, mainly because I have found I have learnt a lot about my movement in foundation from a good physio and they have identified extra deficiencies that I needed to work on.

 

DB