This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

TBs/SE21 Thoracic bridge hip tap

Started by mic_skelly, March 1, 2015 · 9 Replies · 524 Views

mic_skelly

Just had my first run through the thoracic bridge series and was able to perform most things (scaled to my horrible shoulder flexibility). However, I couldn't do SE21 even when I tried to scale it to just shoulder taps.

Anyone else having this problem?

Sensei JP

Oh gosh yes.  I guess you would call what I do floor taps.  I can barely support myself with one arm, so I shift most of my weight to one arm, quickly lift my hand as high as I can and then immediately put it back.  It lasts maybe a quarter of a second, but do what you can, right?

 

The first time I tried it, I couldn't even lift an arm; I just shifted my weight.  On Friday I managed to lift my hand maybe two inches.  I consider that fantastic.  And at this rate, I'll touch my hip sometime early 2016.  Can't wait.

mic_skelly

I guessed that would be the case, just like the rest of this patience and hard work will bring progress. My shoulder extension work was horrible too, not a chance if of getting fingers touching!

Joseph Morris

I have the same issue, can't even get my hands off the ground.

Adriano Augusto

Same problem here. Today was my first day of bridge series, andeverything was good till this exercise...just one tap, then I fell to floor. Due I just was able to do one rep every time I tried, I did 9 more sets of 1rep until I hit the 10 reps. More than 5 minutes, but worth it. Something to work I guess!

red1392

Small detail: don't keep your feet together, keep them shoulder width or wider apart. Missed that the first session and fell on my head every attempt I made. Second session went better. Made it to 6 but with slightly bent legs.

 

If you can't do even a single tap, I'd recommend doing shrugs in the position. Elevate hard.

trw
red1392 said:

If you can't do even a single tap, I'd recommend doing shrugs in the position. Elevate hard.

 

I think shifting weight from one hand to the other is a better use of scaling for this exercise, like Sensei describes. There is already a bridge pushup exercise. Like handstand wall runs, the point of this one is alternating sides and forcing the working arm to really press as the other lifts, thereby improving overall flexion strength and stability in the bridge position.

dritar

Shoulder taps for me still. Only can get hip taps if I raise the support of the feet higher.

Coach Sommer
Adriano Augusto said:

Same problem here. Today was my first day of bridge series, andeverything was good till this exercise...just one tap, then I fell to floor. Due I just was able to do one rep every time I tried, I did 9 more sets of 1rep until I hit the 10 reps. More than 5 minutes, but worth it. Something to work I guess!

 

Wimp.  ;)

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Sensei JP

I would like to celebrate: today I performed two shoulder taps in a row, bringing my lifetime total to ... two.  Even that seems a minor miracle since I first started.  Last week I also managed to do all ten bridge pushups without having to come down in the middle of the set.

 

I'm amazed at the improvements of doing this just once a week.