This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Hollow body rock FL/PE6 form check

Started by Alessandro Di Sanzo, March 1, 2015 · 40 Replies · 1,097 Views

Alessandro Di Sanzo

Hi!

Tomorrow I'm going to start practicing hollow body rock! I tried to perform some reps, just to understand the form I have to keep.

How about my form? Do I need to fix something?

Hollow body rock FL/PE6:

http://youtu.be/zjVQjv4aamc

Thank you!

Duff

You're not keeping tight. Note how your upper body extends when your legs go up. You're also using your legs for momentum. Personally, I'd like to see your PE4.

chuchodani

Agreed with Duff, you need to keep your lower back rounded.

Alessandro Di Sanzo
Duff said:

You're not keeping tight. Note how your upper body extends when your legs go up. You're also using your legs for momentum. Personally, I'd like to see your PE4.

I see, I guessed my form was not the best. I will post an update soon! Thanks you for your replies! Firstly I will work to fix my form, then to mastery! If you have some other tips, I will appreciate!
chuchodani said:

Agreed with Duff, you need to keep your lower back rounded.

ausswe

It doesn't seem like you keep ppt during the rocks look carefully at the beginning of the rocking you can see a bit of light come through where your lower back is. If you ha correct ppt in the bottom position we wouldn't see that arch.

Alessandro Di Sanzo
ausswe said:

It doesn't seem like you keep ppt during the rocks look carefully at the beginning of the rocking you can see a bit of light come through where your lower back is. If you ha correct ppt in the bottom position we wouldn't see that arch.

Do you mean in the start of the video? I see! But currently I can't put my lower back completely in contact with the ground, with both arms and legs extended. Of course if I kept my legs bent it would be much more easier.I know there's an exercise focused to fix this stuff in handstand one. But I'm still working on the first preparatory element... [emoji53]
ausswe

I don't mean when your laying on the floor I mean on your first few rocks I can see your lower back arch slightly. Do you have a video of your pe5? Might give us an idea.

Edit: I watched the video again and you are definitely losing ppt as your upper body comes into contact with the ground

Alessandro Di Sanzo
ausswe said:

I don't mean when your laying on the floor I mean on your first few rocks I can see your lower back arch slightly. Do you have a video of your pe5? Might give us an idea.

Edit: I watched the video again and you are definitely losing ppt as your upper body comes into contact with the ground

Sorry, I misunderstood! Unluckily I have some problems to see my lower back arching. Anyway I will try to fix that!

Here's a video of my hollow body hold, as you suggested me! If you see some mistakes let me know, this way I will continue to work on this element before progressing!

Hollow body hold FL/PE5:

http://youtu.be/q6GwnHSf4Ho

Alexander Egebak
mauler said:

Sorry, I misunderstood! Unluckily I have some problems to see my lower back arching. Anyway I will try to fix that!

Here's a video of my hollow body hold, as you suggested me! If you see some mistakes let me know, this way I will continue to work on this element before progressing!

Hollow body hold FL/PE5:

http://youtu.be/q6GwnHSf4Ho

Looks decent.

 

But you should show us PE 4 instead to see if you do rocking correctly in a less difficult position

Alessandro Di Sanzo
Alexander Egebak said:

Looks decent.

But you should show us PE 4 instead to see if you do rocking correctly in a less difficult position

OK, I will post PE4 as soon as I can, and eventually un update of FL/PE6.

Thank you for your help! [emoji4]

ausswe

I could be wrong but it looks like you haven't got very much ppt. You can see your upper body coming up ini the hollow but it is hard to see your hips tilting into ppt. If you look at your rocks you can see the loss of ppt by looking at you obliques they relax and contract and your lower ribs come up and then down. They should be tense the whole time to keep that body position. A good way to rock is get into the hollow then lift your torso ever so slightly and use body tension to fall back. Hard to explain but if you can rock without swinging you legs then you haven't got enough strength in that position.

Alessandro Di Sanzo
ausswe said:

I could be wrong but it looks like you haven't got very much ppt. You can see your upper body coming up ini the hollow but it is hard to see your hips tilting into ppt. If you look at your rocks you can see the loss of ppt by looking at you obliques they relax and contract and your lower ribs come up and then down. They should be tense the whole time to keep that body position. A good way to rock is get into the hollow then lift your torso ever so slightly and use body tension to fall back. Hard to explain but if you can rock without swinging you legs then you haven't got enough strength in that position.

I will post an update soon, trying to fix the form! Maybe I got what you mean! Thanks for your time, ausswe!!! [emoji4]
Alessandro Di Sanzo
ausswe said:

I could be wrong but it looks like you haven't got very much ppt. You can see your upper body coming up ini the hollow but it is hard to see your hips tilting into ppt. If you look at your rocks you can see the loss of ppt by looking at you obliques they relax and contract and your lower ribs come up and then down. They should be tense the whole time to keep that body position. A good way to rock is get into the hollow then lift your torso ever so slightly and use body tension to fall back. Hard to explain but if you can rock without swinging you legs then you haven't got enough strength in that position.

Sorry for late. This is an update of my form!

Hollow Body Rock FL/PE6:

http://youtu.be/C9x9jqysE0s

Hiw do you find that?

Thank you all!

Alessandro Di Sanzo
Zach Armijo said:

You are using way too much leg movement when rocking back. It's bad enough to see your lower back start to jump off the ground. The movement needs to be initiated and maintained with muscle control and the body kept as a single unit. You can see your feet are separated in the beginning and the use of momentum of both legs and arms are doing you no justice in terms of mastering this element. It will only get worse later if this lack of control is left unchecked and not corrected.

I think I got you explained! I will work to fix this point for sure! [emoji2] thanks for your reply! Just one question? Is it correct that as I lower back my butt goes off the ground? Thanks again!
Alessandro Di Sanzo
Zach Armijo said:

Negative. Your lower glutes should barely be coming off the ground. A point of reference when testing people is by telling them that their feet should not rise any higher than the height of their knees if they were standing. This will keep your control in check and make you engage more to feel the transfer of tension through the body in a rock.

Got it!!! That's good to know!! Thank you for your time Zach!! As I see improves I'll post a new video check![emoji4]
Sensei JP
Zach Armijo said:

Negative. Your lower glutes should barely be coming off the ground. A point of reference when testing people is by telling them that their feet should not rise any higher than the height of their knees if they were standing. This will keep your control in check and make you engage more to feel the transfer of tension through the body in a rock. 

This is a fantastic tip.  I do these near my bed, which is knee height, and I can use that as a visual cue.  More specifically, I can tell exactly when my form is breaking and I can feel the difference that going even a few inches above that point does to my form.

 

If it isn't already, this cue should be in the wiki.  Thanks, Zach.

Alexander Egebak

Where is that PE 4 man? If you do the same mistakes in PE 4 it is not mastered and needs to be retested. It would also be easier to correct your mistakes in an easier variation

Alessandro Di Sanzo
Alexander Egebak said:

Where is that PE 4 man? If you do the same mistakes in PE 4 it is not mastered and needs to be retested. It would also be easier to correct your mistakes in an easier variation

You're right! Here's an attempt I did this morning...

Straddle hollow body rock:

http://youtu.be/_na305cOvGQ

Do you think I have to first work on this element?

ausswe

I think you have the same problem in this rock as well but not as bad.

LateStarter@46

The body has to move as one rigid object, with no movement of the legs at the hips. Check this out on the course video. Get and keep the rocking motion using your abs only. A long time ago someone (theColin?) described it as a kind of horizontal crunch, which may help (it did for me).

Great to have Zach's information (he will be one certifying the level tests).

Alessandro Di Sanzo

Hi All!

Un update of my hollow body rock!

Well, maybe better than before.  I tried to lift my feet at knees level in standing position. I also tried to avoid the leg momentum.

What do you think? Thank you for your help!

Alan Tseng

I think you're using lumbar Flexion for your back rather than true PPT. That's because before you begin, your back was arched (APT) and you curled into the movement (lumbar Flexion)

Alessandro Di Sanzo
Alan Tseng said:

I think you're using lumbar Flexion for your back rather than true PPT. That's because before you begin, your back was arched (APT) and you curled into the movement (lumbar Flexion)

Gosh, I've always been focusing on keeping my lower back firmly in contact with the floor, and I thought this was sufficient to verify that I've been keeping proper PPT... Now I'm confused... :(

Alan Tseng
mauler said:

Gosh, I've always been focusing on keeping my lower back firmly in contact with the floor, and I thought this was sufficient to verify that I've been keeping proper PPT... Now I'm confused... :(

It's easy to get confused here since they both "look" the same since both gets your lower back onto the floor.  However the difference is that Posterior Pelvic Tilt is a hip movement, and lumbar flexion is a lower back movement.  So even though they look the same, it's actually completely different set of muscle activation.

 

What posterior pelvic tilt is, is that you tilt your pelvic bone posteriorly until the lower back is on the floor, rather than simply pressing the lower back down on the floor (which is what lumbar flexion is.)  I think you'll probably need to practice this movement all the way back to PE1 to make sure you're using the right set of muscles.

Alessandro Di Sanzo
Alan Tseng said:

It's easy to get confused here since they both "look" the same since both gets your lower back onto the floor. However the difference is that Posterior Pelvic Tilt is a hip movement, and lumbar flexion is a lower back movement. So even though they look the same, it's actually completely different set of muscle activation.

What posterior pelvic tilt is, is that you tilt your pelvic bone posteriorly until the lower back is on the floor, rather than simply pressing the lower back down on the floor (which is what lumbar flexion is.) I think you'll probably need to practice this movement all the way back to PE1 to make sure you're using the right set of muscles.

Now I start to get to the point!

I'm pretty sure I can keep PPT on the ground with bent legs. 

But With straight and close legs keeping lower back completely flat on the ground is impossible for me using only PPT. 

I see that In the video demonstration the athlete can do that!

post-10847-142636014063_thumb.png

I know that PPT exercises are included in HS one, but they are too advanced exercises, I've still been working on HS/PE1.

I will do as you said, I will focus on keeping PPT from the the PE1. But Should I keep my lower back even with straddle and close straight legs firmly on the ground only with PPT to consider those element as mastered, simply as I lay on the ground? As I said before, I'm quite sure I can't at all hold it with PPT with close legs, end maybe in straddle it is the same story.