This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

push up, HB/PE2

Started by Hanlim Lee, February 28, 2015 · 7 Replies · 240 Views

Hanlim Lee


 
 
I've been stuck with push up.
 
I proceed to PPP but it was embarrassingly hard to do in correct manner
 
so I decided to go back to push up. 
 
 
 
in the demo video, shoulders are "rolled forward" at the bottom and "protracted" at the top.  
 
I couldn't do it so asked ( link below)
 
https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/19493-shoulder-protraction-in-push-up/

 
 
Many said keep my elbows in or pointing strictly backwards, don't flair out
 
and I tried. But I couldn't do. 
 
I tried to BRUSH my upper arms to lats when going down but now I wonder if it is anatomically possible
 
I never knew push up is such a hard exercise to do. 
 
the angle between arm and lat in the video is the minimum I could make.
 
It's wrong, right? 
 
what is it? why I can't do it? is it a mobility issue? 
 
Would anyone link me to perfect push up video taped above? I really wanna see.

chuchodani

I'm uploading a video for trying to help you. I've teach some friend (males and females) how to do push ups (HBP/PE2) correctly, by taking then first to HBP/PE1 and teaching them how to lock out the scaps in the right position and how to push with the arms. They were struggling mostly because of their strength and for lack of understanding of how to use the scaps and body mechanics, and because of their lack of strength they tend to flare out the elbows and retract the scaps. When they get used to not flare out the elbows and keep a hollow body, I put them again in HBP/PE2 and the majority of them was able to get about 3-5r with the form required. It just my humble experience, I think you should go back to HBP/PE1 and use a bar height that allows you to use the right form. Hope that helps !

 

Rayne-William

At first glance, start your push up sets with your stomach on the floor. Position your arms pressed lightly against your sides and then place your hands on the ground. As you push your torso up off the ground don't let elbows flare out to the side.

 

The video Chuchodani made and posted lacks scapula depression, which is needed for pseudo planche push ups.

Hanlim Lee
chuchodani said:

I'm uploading a video for trying to help you. I've teach some friend (males and females) how to do push ups (HBP/PE2) correctly, by taking then first to HBP/PE1 and teaching them how to lock out the scaps in the right position and how to push with the arms. They were struggling mostly because of their strength and for lack of understanding of how to use the scaps and body mechanics, and because of their lack of strength they tend to flare out the elbows and retract the scaps. When they get used to not flare out the elbows and keep a hollow body, I put them again in HBP/PE2 and the majority of them was able to get about 3-5r with the form required. It just my humble experience, I think you should go back to HBP/PE1 and use a bar height that allows you to use the right form. Hope that helps !

 

 

Thanks for the video you taped for me.

 

I tried to imitate your motion but failed.  I couldn't either make that much hollow or keep hollow while folding my arms. 

 

As my hands reach my chest, hollow breaks.  WHY? lol

 

and should I brush my lats with my upper arms? should they be that close? 

 

or I could leave some space between them? 

 

 

Would you pinpoint my problem?  like ' you should be doing A, but you are doing B in the video, so fix like this'

 

you mentioned lack of strength and lack of understanding of body mechanics  but its too vague to follow. 

Hanlim Lee
Rayne-William said:

At first glance, start your push up sets with your stomach on the floor. Position your arms pressed lightly against your sides and then place your hands on the ground. As you push your torso up off the ground don't let elbows flare out to the side.

 

The video Chuchodani made and posted lacks scapula depression, which is needed for pseudo planche push ups.

 

Thank for the comment. 

 

#1.

is protraction/ retraction is independent from depression/elevation?

 

#2.

to depress my scapular, should I activate my lats and keep it through out the push up?

 

#3.

I don't want to bother you, but do you have your push up demo video? I wish I could watch. 

Jason Dupree

1- yes

2- yes. like scapular pushups working protraction and retraction, you can try a push up position while elevating and depressing to get used to it. I like to do it in a protracted position.

Try placing your hands a little closer. On the video it looks like they were wide enough that if you tried to bring your elbows in your forearm would no longer be vertical.

Hanlim Lee
Jason Dupree said:

Try placing your hands a little closer. On the video it looks like they were wide enough that if you tried to bring your elbows in your forearm would no longer be vertical.

Thanks a lot. Just bringing my hands close to the sides of my chest fix my problem. 

 

I think I overlooked how much the shoulder of gymnasts in the demo video are wider than mine.

Rayne-William
Hanlim Lee said:

Thank for the comment. 

 

#1.

is protraction/ retraction is independent from depression/elevation?

 

#2.

to depress my scapular, should I activate my lats and keep it through out the push up?

 

#3.

I don't want to bother you, but do you have your push up demo video? I wish I could watch. 

1. Yes, the articulations can be done independently. EXRX.net: Scapula / Shoulder blades Articulations 

 

2. Yes, add the rest of your core also. Don't hold hollow or arch, for mastery we need our chest to touch the ground.

 

3. Nope. I just know what proper form feels like and can tell what needs to be corrected to so that some else also knows without a doubt what proper form is.