OAC question

Started by fiti987, February 28, 2015 · 7 Replies · 2,313 Views

fiti987

I tried to do an one-arm chin-up. This was the result.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQiHRZcY-xI&feature=youtu.be

 

What should i do to improve the bottom part? I can do 3-4 half OAC fom the top and i also can do assisted OAC with grabbing my shoulder with my other hand, but the true OAC seems impossible.After i broke the deadhang i just lost all my strenght.

chuchodani

I've no OAC but for strength the bottom part, I think you need to practice some passive/active hanging with one arm, and also some drills like going from elevated scap position to depressed, OAC Negatives and Rope climb are amazing tools for develop the OAC.

 

fiti987

Thanks, but what is an active hang? I think i gonna incude this scapp raises and rope climbs into my routine and see what they do.

chuchodani

An active hang is hanging from the bar with your scaps depressed.

Alessandro Mainente

Pay attention that premature work with active scap depression could leads to shoulder dislocation. basic pull strength coupled with actvie shoulder mobility should be mastered before.

Jon Douglas
alex87 said:

Pay attention that premature work with active scap depression could leads to shoulder dislocation. basic pull strength coupled with actvie shoulder mobility should be mastered before.

Seriously. Potent medicine.

Alessandro Mainente

I know at least 5 guys who suffered from partian subluxation due to no control during the elevation phase that follows the scapulas movement at the end of one arm pullup. the scapula stays depressed until arm is extended, then basically you will see a scapular elevation. lower fibers of lats and middle/low traps contribute to avoid scapular destabilization..if not...

DoomGoober

Counterweight is the most controlled and measurable way to make progress on full motion OAC. Hang rope over bar, tie one end to weights, pull slack out of loose end with off hand. Adjust the weight to whatever you need to barely do full motion (dead hang to ching over).

 

When training for my OAC I did a bunch of other crap too, but I'm not sure it's as helpful as just doing full motion counterweight. I would do partials too: Stand on box so your arm is in the position you're stuck at. Pull upwards just a bit until you can get your feet off the ground (at first, you'll only get up for less than a second.) Keep practicing this until you can static hold that position for a couple seconds. Then, start lowering yourself from that position (you'll have to raise your feet to avoid the box.) Eventually, you'll be able to pull UP from that position, rather than just static holding.

 

That said, if i had to do it all over again, I'd use counterweights more: counterweight positives for one workout alternating with counterweight negatives (where the negatives us a lot less weight.)

 

Also, don't kick so much. When you kick, it's really hard to tell how much assistance you're giving yourself and you won't be able to measure progress. (You will raise your legs later, into a sort of L-Sit. But this is a controlled move, not a kick.)