Loaded Splits

Started by Kristopher, February 26, 2015 · 3 Replies · 2,230 Views

Kristopher

So I read the essay that a gentleman by the name of Wesley Tan on weighted mobility work, and that got the gears turning in my head about doing weighted mobility work in regards to splits.

My idea is to wear my weight vest (without all of the weight in it, of course. Maybe half, since it's a 40-pound vest) while working splits after a good warm-up. Would this do any good, or am I setting myself up for injury? In modern hip-hop parlance, "I ain't 'bout dat life".  :P 

In regards to how deep I am in the splits, I am supporting my bodyweight with my palms on the floor. If I had to estimate how far my crotch is from the ground, I'd say it's six inches or less (six inches at the very, very most).

 

rafal

maybe try without weight vest but don't support with your hands. your body should be enough load for a start.

Alexander Egebak

Yes, standing hips stretches do not have to be loaded since your muscles naturally contracts hard as you lower into the stretch. As an example is horse stance or squats.

Kristopher
rafal said:

maybe try without weight vest but don't support with your hands. your body should be enough load for a start.

 

 

Alexander Egebak said:

Yes, standing hips stretches do not have to be loaded since your muscles naturally contracts hard as you lower into the stretch. As an example is horse stance or squats.

 

Thanks everyone! I tried this out today, using these dip bars my former boss gave me to control how much weight I put on my legs. I dare say I went deeper! Thanks again!