I have an issue stretching my adductors, specifically in the butterfly and frog stretches. When I try to get into the stretch, I can't get far enough to feel it in my adductors, rather I feel an uncomfortable pinching sensation on the outside of my hip, mostly the left. The butterfly stretch is useless. But the frog, especially frog rocks, as I spend more time it starts to loosen and feel more like a stretch on that outside part of the hip. Still no adductor. Any thoughts on what the problem may be? And will it eventually go away with continued stretching?
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
pinching?
Started by Jason Dupree, February 26, 2015 · 4 Replies · 328 Views
Jason Dupree said:... thoughts on what the problem may be? And will it eventually go away with continued stretching? ...
Of course. You just have some other issues to correct before you can begin adductor work. Don't worry, it will happen. It will just take longer to put your zombiehood behind you than you expected.
Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer
Try doing those same exercises with a band distraction. It might help clear up the impingement a bit faster.
Update: So after a month of no progress I finally made a breakthrough! I actually felt stretching in my adductors for the first time in a while, and that pinching feeling only returned if i pushed too far. My hips haven't been feeling good upon finishing the MS course since I started, but today they feel great after!
For anyone with the same problem, here is what i think helped the most.
1. Activating the hip flexor correctly with PPT during warmup.
2. focusing on APT during butterfly stretch, as well as sticking my feet way out in front, sticking my hands behind me, and pushing forward without losing APT.
3. Stopping just before the pinching feeling, even if I felt no stretch at all.
From what I could tell, the pinching feeling is Anterior/Superior Femoral Glide. There isn't much info on it online though, especially on how to fix it. But this is working so far.
Excellent ![]()
I've also experienced some distinct changes in the stretches over time. Interesting where the tight links turn out to be.