This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Muscle up and Back lever carry over to a bar?

Started by The Wykydtron, February 25, 2015 · 3 Replies · 248 Views

The Wykydtron

So I'm currently just doing Rings 1 as extra work while I complete Foundation and Handstand, but I'm wondering if say, down the road when I work up to a back lever and muscle up on rings, will this carry over to a pull up bar? I ask for two reasons:

 

1. Before beginning Foundation I had a mediocre back lever and could only do a handful of muscle ups on the pullup bar, and when I would try on rings I couldn't do either, leading me to believe rings were more difficult.

 

2. When I visit family back home we have a park near by with bars and like to go down and have a fun workout sometimes, and I do like the pullup bar in general.

 

Would eventually mastering these exercises on the rings carry over to when I would try them on a bar? Or would a pullup bar be useful if you were struggling on a back lever element to work on it with a bar and then move it to rings?

 

I'm still in the early stages of a german hang and false grip hang so this is nothing I'll be trying soon, but I'm curious.

Joshua Slocum

Back and front lever are no different on rings or on a bar [unless you use a really narrow grip on the bar, which makes the back lever easier because your lats can rest on your triceps].

 

Muscle up on a bar is actually a bit harder than muscle up on rings, because the bar prevents you from pulling your hands out to your sides. It's not so much more difficult that I'd recommend targeted work on a bar, though, especially if you can already do them.

The Wykydtron
Joshua Slocum said:

Back and front lever are no different on rings or on a bar [unless you use a really narrow grip on the bar, which makes the back lever easier because your lats can rest on your triceps].

 

Muscle up on a bar is actually a bit harder than muscle up on rings, because the bar prevents you from pulling your hands out to your sides. It's not so much more difficult that I'd recommend targeted work on a bar, though, especially if you can already do them.

 

Well thanks, that surprises me but maybe it was just because I had a background with a pullup bar and nothing with rings. Would similar progressions be good to apply to a bar as the ones in Rings 1? I.e., false grip hangs, negatives, etc? I can get about 3-4 kipping MU's on a bar, but I'd love to do them strict on both bar and rings one day down the road. 

 

There are a ton of tutorials on Youtube but they didn't help much back when I used to try them.

Joshua Slocum
The Wykydtron said:

Well thanks, that surprises me but maybe it was just because I had a background with a pullup bar and nothing with rings. Would similar progressions be good to apply to a bar as the ones in Rings 1? I.e., false grip hangs, negatives, etc? I can get about 3-4 kipping MU's on a bar, but I'd love to do them strict on both bar and rings one day down the road.

There are a ton of tutorials on Youtube but they didn't help much back when I used to try them.

I would work through the rings progressions and then do those progressions over again using a bar.