Need help with my stall bar solution

Started by ausswe, February 25, 2015 · 17 Replies · 4,055 Views

ausswe

Hej everyone,

I have no reasonable stall bar solution atm except for my gym which has 2 beams with holes through them about 2cm in diameter.

The beams are very solid but about 2 meters apart. My thoughts were to get some dowels 2cm thick and put them through these holes but I'm not sure if wood would support my weight.

If it would then what wood should I use?

If not maybe some sort of metal?

Any ideas or advice would be great thank you :)

Cheers

Coach Sommer

In this situation metal would be the best option.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

thecolin

2 cm dowels would snap like toothpicks along a 2 meter stretch.

 

With 2 cm tubing on a 2 meter span you're going to get a lot of flexing, probably way too much in fact. And while metal is more resistant to wood, it's a lot less resistant to flexing over time.

 

I'm fairly certain you'll need extra support in the middle regardless of material.

ausswe

I'll hopefully have access to stall bars by August so it would only need to last until then. The only real weight on it would be from some of the mn ims and stretch work a couple of times a week. Do you think it would be okay? Even if the metal poles break it is no big deal but it is honestly my only real solution at this time.

thecolin

The manna iMs are the real stall bar killers unfortunately. Even on my wooden stall bars that are only a meter wide with 35 cm bars, they still feel like they're going to snap from the pike stretching.  :wacko:

 

One thing you could try is getting a shorter metal bar (about shoulder width) and stick it through just one of the beams and put your feet on the wall for pike work. The risk here is that you could break the beam or tear it off the wall. But a half meter long metal tube of a reasonable thickness shouldn't bend.

ausswe

These beams are solid. Nothing is going to break them.

Also I discovered it is only 1.5 meters wide and there is another section only 1 meter wide :D also the diameter is actually about an inch. Does that change anything?

thecolin

I can't say 100%, but if it's only a meter wide it's worth a shot with metal pipe.

 

Out of curiosity, is this something you're going leave at the gym? Or are you going to have to carry a bag full of metal tubing every time you workout. :P

ausswe

Going to have to carry it :). Im going to talk to them about leaving it there but not sure if that is possible yet. Still even if I have to carry it, then That is what I'll do. I don't have another solution and I'm not skipping the exercise. I've had to do that in the past and progress is slowed and hindered a lot!

thecolin
ausswe said:

Going to have to carry it :).

 

It's good that they don't have to be 2 meters long then! :D

ausswe

Hahaha yea!! Spoke to them today :) they said I can leave them there! Yay. Now I just need to find 1-1.5 meter long 1 inch wide steel bars. Do you think solid steel is better than steel pipe?

Joshua Slocum

1-inch pipe that's 1-meter long would be fine is my guess. You should be able to find something suitable at the hardware store. 

 

 

If you need to get a custom size steel tube, try McMaster-Carr.

ausswe

Cheers for all the help guys, really appreciate it :) I let you know how it works out! I'll google this McMaster-Carr

thecolin

Something like gas fitting pipe will probably work. Just make sure to check the exterior diameter, because sometimes '1 inch pipe' can refer to the interior diameter. Since plumbers care about interior space, where as for construction, exterior measurements are the important ones.

 

If you found the right lengths that are already threaded at both ends you could also lock them in place so they don't slide around.

 

Hot dip galvanized steel will hold up to sweaty hands relatively well over time (in terms of rust, grip on metal can be more difficult, cloth tape can help there).

ausswe

Thanks for that :) also when you say threaded are you thinking I could screw some nuts on either end so they don't shift? That would actually be brilliant

ausswe

Thanks for that :) also when you say threaded are you thinking I could screw some nuts on either end so they don't shift? That would actually be brilliant

thecolin

That's what I was thinking. You'd have to either find pre-threaded pipe the right length, or find somebody who has the equipment to thread it.

crashnburn
ausswe said:

Thanks for that :) also when you say threaded are you thinking I could screw some nuts on either end so they don't shift? That would actually be brilliant

Do share how you finally put it all together.. + some pics :)