Hi all,
I've been working out with Jason at CrossFit Portland since coming back from the GB seminar in May. We had been doing the WODs before the seminar and decided to focus on statics (BL, FL, PL) as per recommended by Coach. MTTHFR, we did our static holds, 6 holds for each position. We had checked our PRs first and then started this journey. During these 8 weeks, I have done a few CrossFit metcon workouts...average a little less than 1 per week. However, I have been sprinting 3-5 times a week. Short hills 2-3 week, mix in 1-2 tempo sprint days as well.
In the first few workouts, it was just statics and then attempting a scaled down version of the WOD afterwards. Soon, we started to pair another movement with the static to break up the monotony and also I guess this is what Coach talks about in the programming part of his book. For example, BL + muscle ups, PL + Hespu, FL + Pistols. I basically stopped doing the GB WODs at this point.
We took a break here and there in the 8 weeks and just retested this Monday.
Start:
Tuck Planche 12 seconds
BL Straddle 4 seconds
FL straddle 6 seconds
Post:
Tuck Planche 14 seconds, arms much straighter, hips higher
BL half tuck 15 seconds, straddle 4-5 seconds. Got a full BL for 1 second a week before testing for the first time!
FL straddle 12 seconds
I wanted to test my Deadlift, Press, and Back Squat. Recently developed a knee injury so I'm laying off it for a while but still curious and will retest when i can. My Hespu's #'s have gone up (we "embedded" these with our statics on and off, 1-3 reps with a static hold) and my endurance to complete more of them in a given time has gone up as well. My Muscle ups have improved, I can do them slower and with a wider grip now. Oh, I also developed the OAC lockoff with both arms (we embedded these as well). This was impossible 8 weeks ago.
Pains-Injuries:
Elbows - definitely started to develop joint pain in the elbows about 4 weeks in. did as much elbow prehad as I could, lay off the volume, took breaks. It is feeling better now and I have 1/2'ed the back lever volume I will doing in the next 8 weeks.
Got the knee pain/injury but that's from sprinting.
Overall, its been fun and made great gains. Looking to mix it up somewhere and keep things interesting but definitely going to continue with the statics.
Oh, a friend of ours joined us about 2 weeks in. She was in the beginning of all the statics - Frog stand instead of PL, ring support instead of BL, just being inverted instead of FL. She has improved DRAMATICALLY in the 6 weeks. She tuck planched for a split second, 7 second tucked BL - flat back, and I forgot where her FL is at now. Ring supports are better.
Get this, She is an aspiring O-Lifter and her previous Jerk max is 110 lbs. She just tested today and it is now 133 lbs. No O-lifting in the last 8 weeks, a few CF metcons.
Thanks Coach!
Xi Xia