Which leg is being stretched on this one, the straight leg or bent leg? My glutes were pretty high off the ground on this and I'm wondering where I should be feeling the stretch.
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Vertical Frog
Started by Stephen Majerle, February 24, 2015 · 10 Replies · 827 Views
The bent leg.
Get that hip down as low as possible, with the heel flat on the floor and the shin vertical. Also work on pulling the bent knee out to the side and not allowing it to fall forward.
Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer
Coach Sommer said:The bent leg.
Get that hip down as low as possible, with the heel flat on the floor and the shin vertical. Also work on pulling the bent knee out to the side and not allowing it to fall forward.
Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer
Hmm.. when I do the vertical frogs, I feel a huge stretch on the straight leg rather on the bent leg. Does that mean I'm not doing it right?
If your pulling the bent knee out to the side you should feel it in the adductor / groin region of the bent leg.
I really struggle to balance in this pose, because I am so comically high from the ground and have to bend over to the point of falling forward. I'm pretty sure I'm doing it right, I just have a looong way to go ![]()
Primate said:... I really struggle to balance in this pose, because I am so comically high from the ground and have to bend over to the point of falling forward ...
I am curious if performing vertical frog with your back leaning back on a wall for some balance would allow you to sit more upright.
Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer
Thanks I'll try that
Primate said:Thanks I'll try that
Did you have any luck with this variant?
I honestly am not sure how to scale this stretch down correctly.
Would it be productive to keep the height similar as in this yoga pose, and focus on opening hips.

I.e. Bent leg 90 degrees in the knee or slightly less. Other leg rotated outward (foot points to the ceiling). Rest of the body upright.
Standing like this for two minutes would be pretty challenging so I'd use hands on a chair/stretching blocks to support some bodyweight.
Now I'd work on keeping bent leg's knee rotated outward, and lowering the position.
Not sure if any of this makes sense though. This stretch feels really alien to me ![]()
mehowte said:Did you have any luck with this variant?
I honestly am not sure how to scale this stretch down correctly.
Would it be productive to keep the height similar as in this yoga pose, and focus on opening hips.
I.e. Bent leg 90 degrees in the knee or slightly less. Other leg rotated outward (foot points to the ceiling). Rest of the body upright.
Standing like this for two minutes would be pretty challenging so I'd use hands on a chair/stretching blocks to support some bodyweight.
Now I'd work on keeping bent leg's knee rotated outward, and lowering the position.
Not sure if any of this makes sense though. This stretch feels really alien to me
Well, I am pretty much in the same position as you. I am doing exactly that with the chair..etc. I thought something was wrong at first but we are not as flexible as them. So I think it's a good alternative. This one fuck me up every time. 90s is killing me. I take short rest.
I'm doing this one with my bent leg up on a chair at this time. It helps to get deep into the hip for the stretch without being too much load. Easier to hold for 90s.
I think it's meant to be like frog / rocking frog but vertical so maybe try visualising (or even starting from) being in frog but with the inactive leg straight.