Let's say one has the time for it and feels like doing a strechting session daily (rotating to the next one of the tree each day) - would there be any reason to recommend against that?
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Doing the stretching daily?
Started by Luzian, February 23, 2015 · 8 Replies · 703 Views
The recovery period is important. Stretching every day is probably too much stretching and not enough recovery. Start out with once a week, and if you feel that you're recovering well and would benefit from more stretching, then add in a little more stretching every week. Only add more volume if you're certain you'll benefit from it.
No, on the other days you should be focusing on your Foundation integrated mobility.
Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer
Can't remember which stretch course follow along class video it was (though for some reason I thought it was the MS one but could be mistaken), but in one of them Coach states explicitly that we should not perform the stretching routines more than once a week for each and that doing so will not help and may even harm our flexibility progress.
That's interesting. Before the Stretch Courses came out I had been doing nightly maintenance stretches like this one for example (that's not me in the pic, sorry dudes):
Actually I was doing 6 nightly stetches: 2 hip flexor, 1 glute medius, 1 adductor, 1 spinal twist and 1 palms to the ground toe touches, each one only lasting 30 seconds just to keep things limber and check for tightness. So is light stretching considered acceptable, maybe even recommended in the evening if we performed strength exercises during the day or s/ we just do more of the mobility exercises until the 3 Stretch Course days during the week?
Another question along similar lines Coach,
Which specific Stretch series work should we do following the specific Foundation course work for that day?
In other words, does ( I assume) Front Split series follow Manna/SL/SLS work, and/or Side Split series would follow FL/sPL/HBP/RC work? and Thoracic Bridge work follow HS?
Am I on the right track here?
Thanks for the replies, I'll do them each once per week as advised then.
But what's the reason? I always thought that in contrary to strength training where tissue needs time to adapt, stretching/mobility should be done as often as possible?
For me the reason is that each series performed as described is a lot of work and I need the time to recover. If I tried to perform stretch courses daily, foundation and handstand training would suffer.
Most of the "stretch daily" advice is based off of low intensity, low volume stretching protocols (which the GB stretch courses are neither) or stretching protocols (sometimes archaic and/or irresponsible) for children whereas most of us are adults. Your body and tissues do need time to adapt and recover and that is why we are to do each once a week.