Front Bends

Started by jamesters, July 30, 2009 · 2 Replies · 2,928 Views

jamesters

I know front bends are not so typical of gymnastics. Regardless, I think front bend positions look awesome. I've made a video, I'm wondering if anyone knows other front bend stretches that can help me or has any tips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COMeMiYyfZA

ajhoover

All of that looks good but I did notice your hip flexors are a bit tight. When you do the lay down leg over head, you really want the other leg to be completely strait and preferably on the ground. At first this will make getting the leg over the head much harder but it is necessary to be able to achieve your goals. Make sure to balance frontbending with backbending, being able to do the split in all directions will help tremendously.

Andrew

Nick Van Bockxmeer

one thing i notice is that you seem to mainly work on getting one leg up and back at a time.

when i do frontbending i usually work variations where both my legs are straight ahead, stradled and i bend at the hips as much as possible. once ive gone as far as I can with a straight back, I relax the spine and curl further forward.

This stretch

fb-over-101.jpg

I generally find to be a particularly good one.

Once i've got my legs right up i bend them at the knee and sit in the knot.

I think front bend positions look awesome

personally i think back bending looks much better, but front bends are fun too! (actually i'm not very good at back bends...).

If you've never seen this site you should have a look - http://members.fortunecity.com/tchb1/Frontbends.htm

Its what got me hooked on contortion.