This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Testing multiple PEs in a row

Started by Dusty Silvester, February 23, 2015 · 8 Replies · 246 Views

Dusty Silvester

Is it legitimate to test more than one PE for mastery in a row if the previous level is obtained as prescribed?

 

I've seen it stated multiple times in these forums that one must do the work according to the program and not skip ahead. I very much respect the idea of earning results and am not in a rush to get to some "next level". With that in mind I also don't want to linger on a skill I already possess -especially if I could be putting my energy into working on a more challenging movement.

 

Out of respect for the program and in the interest of my own long-term progress I'd like to know that I'm making wise decisions when testing mastery.

 

With respect. 

Sven Ravnstag

I was wrong! See below.

Coach Sommer

No, you may not.  Demonstrate mastery of one element per workout day for that element.  If you want to demonstrate mastery of the seven different foundational elements per day; fine.

 

The next workout day, you may demonstrate a new mastery.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

ausswe

If you are able to demonstrate mastery of say rc pe1 pe2 and pe3 all back to back then why would you only do one of them per day?

Coach Sommer
ausswe said:

If you are able to demonstrate mastery of say rc pe1 pe2 and pe3 all back to back then why would you only do one of them per day?

 

Because I said so.   ;)

 

Demonstrate mastery of one element in a category per day.  If you have additional energy, spend it on demonstrating mastery in the remaining six fundamental elements.

 

If after that you still have some energy, then you may do some maintainence work on your more advanced strength elements.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Jeremy Huston
ausswe said:

If you are able to demonstrate mastery of say rc pe1 pe2 and pe3 all back to back then why would you only do one of them per day?

You're just asking for injury by overdoing it.  When you consider mastering pe1 pe2 and pe3 takes 9 months per the template, taking 3 days isn't that big of a sacrifice.

ausswe

Haha "because I said so" fair enough. Also for someone who comes to foundation who can do 25 strict pull ups for example is looking for a starting point then pe1 pe2 and pe3 might be barely warm up. You are most likely not going to get injured from doing one high rep training day that is well within your max. If it wasn't well within your max you wouldn't be able to do it.

I had a bit of time off foundation due to backpacking and hiking/outdoor climbing exploration.

When I came back I tested the first 3 rc pe in one session at the end of my session. I now know that was incorrect haha but it was the only time I've done it. Except once when I was messing around with later progressions on an off day but I wasn't testing for mastery really because I was on earlier peogression.

Keegan

Just because you have practiced and got good at a later progression though doesn't necessarily mean you don't still have weak links in your kinetic chain. RC PE1 in particular hits muscles and involves a movement pattern that is novel to most exercise enthusiasts and the same could be said of other FBE's FSE's. For instance many people can bust out 5 sets of 5 parallel dips but can't do a single correct PPP.

ausswe

I think you mis understood my post....