This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

using bands for things

Started by prozach, February 22, 2015 · 2 Replies · 144 Views

prozach

http://rs1066.pbsrc.com/albums/u412/Zach_Farber/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-02-22-14-40-31_zps3nffzdwy.png~320x480

I tied a band to a pole, and leaned into it when doing my planche leans. Basically its just self spotting and it seems to help me feel the movement better and get a better lean without any discomfort, or face planting. I've also tried variations with v sits and one arm handstand stuff.

Something I've been experimenting with for a while . I'm curious if this is a thing, and what peoples thoughts are.

Bipocni

Yes using bands is quite popular, although Coach doesn't seem to like it very much. IIRC something about using bands for assistance will build strength for that one particular exercise, whereas working progressions builds a more transferable sort of strength.

Some people eschew both approaches and simply work negatives with increasing lengths of time in the position as their strength builds. This generally only works when you are fairly strong anyway. If you can't even do a chinup, full lay front lever negatives are going to do nothing for you.

Personally I feel people should experiment with all three approaches to find what works for them. At the very least, being comfortable with other training modalities can be useful in getting past plateaus.

prozach

I know people use bands in other ways but I dont recall seeing them being used in this way for GST, though a may well be mistaken.

I think when you say using band for assistance you mean using them to lift youp during a planche, lever, pull up what have you? but in the above examples I'm not taking any weight out of my body. The band is just there to pervent me from going in the direction gravity wants to take me and to que my shoulders to stay tight.

Its certainly not a replacement for progression but maybe a good tool for getting the form down in certain exercises sooner