This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

TBs/SE15

Started by Stephen Hepner, February 22, 2015 · 7 Replies · 484 Views

Stephen Hepner

In reviewing the inverted cat (TBs/SE15) video, I was wondering what might be some good equipment or even movement alternatives as I dont have stall bars or a theraball.  Ive been doing something involving a foam roller just below the shoulder blades and a weighted pass-through bar for the stretch.  Would that be comparable?  Or perhaps  something with a stack of mats or a bench instead of the ball and use a post to hold onto?

 

thanks!

stephen

Sensei JP

I don't have stall bars, so I used the underside of my computer desk.  I think you want something higer than a foam roller to sit on, as much of the stretch seems to come as you drop your hips. I have a bean bag chair that works just fine instead of the ball.  Really, though, you could use anything, even a bunch of laundry stuffed in a garbage bag or something.

bso

I used a foam roller and the underside of my TV stand. Worked good enough for me. It's going to depend on your current ROM.

Stephen Hepner

I ended up laying across a heavy bag and holding onto the underside of a weighted prowler

 

stephen

Javier

I am looking too for alternatives to the stall bars, which I don't have. What is a prowler, Stephen? English is not my first language. 

Stephen Hepner said:

I ended up laying across a heavy bag and holding onto the underside of a weighted prowler

 

stephen

Stephen Hepner
Javier said:

What is a prowler

Here is a picture of what Im using:  https://flic.kr/p/rVMvBu

If you do a search on "prowler sled" you will see many examples of prowlers but this is the specific one Im using.  Basically, look for something that has an edge you can hold onto and is heavy enough that it wont move.  The hardest part for me was to find something I could lay on.

 

 

stephen

Samin Ishtiaq

You lot are going to destroy all your house furniture :-)

Good tips on Swiss ball substitutes, tho'. Thanks!

William Marler

If you stretch at a gym, I've found that a Smith Machine makes a good proxy for stall bars during this series (except for the bridge wall walks -- I can't imagine doing those without stall bars atm).  

Personally, I think investing in an exercise ball is worth it here. Even if you only use it for the Thoracic stretch series, you'll use it what ... once a week for ... the rest of your life? Certainly for a long time. That justifies, in my mind, skipping a few Starbucks trips.