This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

MSs/SE26: Unable to get up in side splits

Started by Geoff, February 22, 2015 · 7 Replies · 609 Views

Geoff

With this exercise I find that I simply cannot get on top of my feet from the pancake and don't know how to get into the pancake if I am on top of my feet. This might have to do with the fact that I cannot get my legs far apart at the moment. Is there a way to simplify the exercise? Or should I wait until my straddle is wide enough for me to transition between standing to pancake?

mehowte

I use two chairs behind my back. I basically do a dip from sitting in "straddle" (mine is only around 90 degrees at the moment) until I get up.

 

What I try to do is to lean forward as much as I can while I push with my hands at the back.

 

All of the above allows me to keep my knees straight at all time while being as close to the correct exercise with my current abilities.

Geoff

I was too focused on elevating surfaces in front of me. An elevated surface in the back sounds like it might work better. I will try it next workout! Thanks for the tip! :)

Keilani Gutierrez

good thing i checked the forum before filming a form check :) thanks for the cue with the chairs in the back!

 

any solutions for the Pancake roll through?

edit: i thought of simply rolling more forward and being conscientious of the chairs in the back while closing the pancake but i would always be scooting progressively more in one direction (backwards or forwards)

sean

Just a thought as I was trying these today, and having a wonderfully difficult time of them, I wonder if having rings hanging in front of you to use to pull up into the stance then on the roll back they can be used to ease your self down? Or not if the ROM just aint there yet. What I like about this idea is it could also help with my RCPE a tiny bit due to grip. But almost seems it would help do the full movement despite my limitation in leg width. Not that I think chairs are a bad idea either. Just thought this version might give more freedom of motion maybe?

I couldn't get up forward to save my life so the only part I could do was from stomach back but not so far as to sit. As I was reading here the chairs made me think of it. I would assume most of have the ring option as part of doing Foundation? I think I'm going to try this if I don't catch other ways to do it here in the forums to see if my idea sucks or not.

prinny

Thanks for the tip. I was planning on just doing more pancakes until I was able to pick myself up by leaning forward. I'll have to try a chair or blocks behind me.

sean

NP! Glad you thought it wasn't a dumb idea LOL I did try the ring idea. A little awkward but it works. Just wanted to try a option that would provide for full range. Have to go slower at it tho. That being said I'll probably try sitting on one of my blocks to see how that works as well.

dritar

In my few good reps I've found that the key is to really keep the torso down, sort of dive into the pancake roll.