This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Trouble with Thoracic Bridging

Started by Tom Floyd, February 22, 2015 · 6 Replies · 482 Views

Tom Floyd

Yesterday, I enrolled in the new Stretch series, all three. 

 

Anyway, I'm extremely tight in nearly every area. Yesterday I did the Front Split Series. I completed every movement, though the Vertical Lunges near the end were ify. I just couldn't get my knee to the wall. But, all in all, the series seems doable.

 

Today, I did the Thoracic Bridge Series. The early part was doable, though difficult. Every version of thoracic bridge, however, was impossible, regardless of foot position or foot height. When I get into position, I simply cannot straighten my arms or lift my body in any way. It's not a matter of strength; my arms simply will not move in the direction required. To make my point, if I simply stand and place my hands in a bridging position, I cannot press my hands behind my head. They stop at about ear level. I'm not getting the scapular movement necessary.

 

I'm nearly 60, but this is not an age-related decline. I remember in high school attending a martial arts intro session, and one "warm up" exercise was the back bridge. I couldn't do it then. No movement whatsoever. 

 

Any ideas on overcoming this? I am strong and capable of hard work. Shall I just do all the exercises in the series I'm capable of, and then re-visit the bridging at a later time? Any particular prepping exercise to give special attention to?

 

Thanks for any advice,

 

Tom

Cole Dano

Tom you just need to work form where you are. Take it slow.

 

There is no expectation that you will look like the demos they are examples of where you are trying to go.

Coach Sommer

In your personal situation, you may find that many of your thoracic bridge variations are closer to handstand than they are to a bridge.  No matter.  Take your feet up as high as necessary.  Accept where you are and allow your body time to make progress slowly.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Christopher Haddock

I'm glad I'm not the only one.  Have now tried all three stretching routines and the bridge is the only element I can't do.  I can do a strict handstand push up but I wasn't able to press into a bridge.  It's like my arms lost all their normal strength. Very surprised by this.

Daniel Stephan

I find it hard to push up from the floor into the thoracic bridge, how could I scale this to be able to get up?

I think it's the uncomfortable position of the arms combined with some lack of pushing strength and elevating the feet only seems to make the push up harder.

Keegan

Personally I get up on the top of my head in a wrestler's bridge then press up from there. You could also kick into a handstand facing away from the wall (back to wall handstand) and then walk your feet down the stall bars and press your chest out as much as you are able; that way you don't have to press up.

I'm still working on getting my hands on some stall bars, so I put my feet up on a plyobox so I kind of have to press up, but if you do the handstand version would probably be easier.

Daniel Stephan

Great idea with the kicking up to handstand, will definitely give this a try!