Handstand One said:Freestanding Handstand
The following progressions build up to a Handstand and develop Lat mobility
I noticed this recently. To what extent do they develop lat mobility ?
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Started by Krel, February 20, 2015 · 5 Replies · 333 Views
Handstand One said:Freestanding Handstand
The following progressions build up to a Handstand and develop Lat mobility
I noticed this recently. To what extent do they develop lat mobility ?
Can you expand on your question? Tight lats are a big reason for reduced ROM in shoulder flexion. The handstand course does a good job of course, but there is also a reason RC mobility in F1 works towards lat mobility. This would suggest that both HS mobility and RC mobility work in tandem to achieve a high degree of lat mobility.
I feel that H1 iM exercises mostly work my trapezius/shoulder/hip mobility. Nevertheless it might be possible that I am not aware that I am working on my lat mobility when doing iM exercices. When I do Prone Floor Handstand Flexion with Weighted Bar (HS/PE5) my trapezius (scapular elevation) and abs (PPT) are burning like hell but I don't understand what is the role of lats.
Krel said:Nevertheless it might be possible that I am not aware that I am working on my lat mobility when doing iM exercices.
That would be my guess. If your ROM has been improving (as I'm guessing it has quite a bit if you've made it past im1 and im3), then that is a pretty good sign of increasing lats mobility. Getting the required shoulder flexion with ribs in for HS just doesn't happen with tight lats.
If you have F3 and F4, play around briefly with the RC mobility in there and you can really feel the lats stretch going on with your arm overhead. That will give you an idea of their importance
one of the biggest notion in physioteraphy "the major antagonist of the lats is the trap".
in the vast majority of cases the trap are not enough strong to balance the lat tension. this will provide less shoulders flexion.
Coach Sommer implemented a full shoulder active mobility, this is necessary because if your muscles are strong to actively explore a range of motion then this range on motion will be safe. there is no degree of passive flexibility that could balance a superior level of active flexibility. this concept is the background of handstand mobility.
Actually the GB courses work together to fix all the aspect of upper body mobility, from passive to active.
alex87 said:one of the biggest notion in physioteraphy "the major antagonist of the lats is the trap".
in the vast majority of cases the trap are not enough strong to balance the lat tension. this will provide less shoulders flexion.
Coach Sommer implemented a full shoulder active mobility, this is necessary because if your muscles are strong to actively explore a range of motion then this range on motion will be safe. there is no degree of passive flexibility that could balance a superior level of active flexibility. this concept is the background of handstand mobility.
Actually the GB courses work together to fix all the aspect of upper body mobility, from passive to active.
Great post Ale.