This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Push vs. Pull movements?

Started by Tyler Haas, February 19, 2015 · 3 Replies · 266 Views

Tyler Haas

I am trying to start the foundations 1 and handstand 1 and had a quick question I am trying to figure out: which of the movements are push and which are primarily are pull? I have a weightlifting routine I have been working on for a decade and it seems to get me into my garage gym working out week after week so I am trying to work in the gymnastics bodies by dividing it into push/pull and doing that on alternate days of the opposite push/pull weightlifting day. I keep stalling right now because I don't want to give up the routine I love so I am hoping to ease into it that way instead. I was thinking maybe something like:

PUSH - handstand work, hollow back press, single leg squat, straddle planche
PULL - rope climb, front lever, side lever, manna

What do you all think? If that divide is okay, do you think a specific order (or rotating order) is necessary? Thanks for the advice and help.

Best Wishes,
-T

Murray Truelove

Why not do an upper/lower split rather than a push/pull?

Bench, OHP, curls etc on F1a days and dead lifts, squats, lunges on F1b days.

You would normally do foundation work first but I'm not sure what order would be best in a weights workout.

What's your weights routine?

old dude_1969

I split it up in a modified push/pull also.  I tried as per the template, but I seem to be shot by the time I get to HBP and RC.

 

Push day - HBP, sPL, MN, HS

Pull day - RC, FL, SL, SLS

 

I like this for the short term until my work capacity increases.  After F1, I will plan to try to do F7 2-3 times a week to really get that work capacity increased!

Joseph Morris

Coach's recommendation is, I believe, to put your barbell work into maintenance (rather than trying to drive improvement) while you work on F1/H1. My approach to maintenance: if you can squat, say, 265x5x3 as your working sets, then maybe do 255-265x3x3 once or twice a week. Also, word to the wise: unless you like back strains, I would avoid doing anything like deadlift or back squat on the same day that you do any of the intense lower back work. (I speak from experience: ABH and back squats do not mix.)