I am trying to improve my jumping ability. To this end, I am going through the following sequence
Squats & deadlift hypertrophy = 6 sets of up to 12 reps each for 4 weeks
Squats & deadlift strength = 3 sets of up to 6 reps for 4 weeks
Box jumps / plyometrics for 4 weeks
I am still in the hypertropy stage and have been taking 30 minutes for squats. Yesterday someone suggested I should be lifting less weight and taking shorter rests.
For reference I am on 55kg on squats and 60kg on deadlift at a bodyweight of 60kg.
Mel Siff in Supertraining recommends 2 to 5 minutes rest between sets, which is what I am following.
Baechle & Earle in essentials of strength and conditioning recommends 60 to 90 seconds between sets.
I have found a paper comparing 2 minutes to 5 minutes rest for hypertrophy, which concludes no difference between these rest times, but I cannot find anything comparing 30 seconds to 2 minutes.
The effect of training hypertrophy with short rests and lighter weights would certainly take less time, but would it be more effective?