This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Low lumbar spine mobility holding me back - Advise from PTs greatly appreciated

Started by Warlock, February 18, 2015 · 8 Replies · 561 Views

Warlock

So recently I've returned to training after a few months hiatus due to a jiujitsu related injury.

 

I've been slowly but surely and thoroughly picking away at my deficits, and right now I think the biggest problem I have is low lumbar mobility, giving me problems in the MN progressions and Deck Squats.

 

I used to have a quite pronounced APT and F1+H1 have helped a lot in addressing it, made big progress, but my lumbar spine is still mostly locked in extension.

 

I've been researching the forums and found some very helpful bits of info (mainly this thread: https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/16370-mnpe1-help-im-stuck-in-hyperextension/ )but would like some more advise as to how to mobilize the stick in my lower back :P .

 

I'm also planning on visiting a chiropractor or other kind of physical therapist, but finding a good one can be hard (especially in my country) and I've personally had some less-than-productive experiences with them (case in point: I have some joint laxity and instability in my right should, 2 months of pt made no difference; one week of F1+H1 changed everything), so I'd really appreciate comments from the very talented professionals roaming the forums :D . Thxs in advance for any input!

Alexander Egebak

Have you considered that it might be tight hip flexors and obliques (too)?

 

But going to a physical therapist is definitely a good idea!

Warlock

I actually have been stretching hip flexors for quite some time, and part of my success at gaining ground on the APT is due to this. Haven't really thought about tight obliques (though after the change in the SL progressions I should've). I'll definitely look into this, thanks!

Sven Ravnstag

Don't forget the quads as well! People often forget that one crosses the hip joint and can contribute to hyperlordosis.

In my experience, ab and glute strength/activation plays a role as well. Some of it is tightness, but years of being tight can create bad posture habits that need to be replaced with better ones.

Also, Jefferson curls with good emphasis on articulating the lumbar spine segment by segment into flexion. Go easy but continue to attempt to reach new ground.

Nothing wrong with seeing a chiropractor (I have the degree myself), but I doubt it's your highest yield option at this point. From what you've said you don't sound to be injured, and most your issues sound to be chronic and functional in nature. You'll likely have the best luck researching and fixing these yourself, assuming you're willing to do the research and the work.

Warlock

Thxs for the responses guys.

 

The thing is really that I'm finding it kind of hard that stretching by itself will solve the issue. I feel like the lumbar spine will just not budge. I will of course add quad and oblique stretching to the routine, but stretching hip flexors (and I've progressed quite a lot in this area), while helpful overall, has not helped in moving the segments themselves and getting out of flexion.

Mark Collins

Sounds like you need to find a therapist that can mobilise the spine from the front. So pushing in an anterior to posterior direction. They are referred to as AP mobilisations to L3/4, L4/5 and L5/S1. I have a similar problem to you and luckily am a Physio so I can do them on myself and get my associate to treat my lower back. When done correctly they are amazing and you will be able to PPT. I would also look through the PPT exercises in Handstand.

dynamo

The Front and Middle Stretch Series hit a lot of the tissue connecting the legs, hips and lower back together.  These stretches might not be a total solution, but they certainly could help facilitate getting you improved lower lumbar mobility.  I notice I have better mobility especially in the hips, but also the legs and lower back after doing these stretches.  Since power is derived from the hips this increased mobility is welcomed.

NickM
Mark Collins said:

Sounds like you need to find a therapist that can mobilise the spine from the front. So pushing in an anterior to posterior direction. They are referred to as AP mobilisations to L3/4, L4/5 and L5/S1.

I'd never have thought of doing AP lumbar mobes. I do PA mobes for lumbar and thoracic spines (I'm a remedial massage therapist with some extra training). What do you see as the advantage of lumbar AP mobes over PA, given the facets are pretty much saggital anyway?

 

(sorry for the thread hijack, but I suppose this is still mobility related!)

Mark Collins

AP mobilisations encourage lumbar flexion and help to release the segmental psoas muscle. They are risky if you don't know what you are doing as you have to try and miss the intestines.