This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HS PE 4 question

Started by MrPuppeh, February 18, 2015 · 9 Replies · 338 Views

MrPuppeh

How does this exercise work ?

 

Should the the hands be resting on the floor like shown in the video ? Because then I dont think theres a purpose for the weighted bar.

 

If I hold the hands 1-2 inches above ground I feel like the only thing that is holding the bar is my rotator cuff or shoulder labrum - Is it supposed to be like that ?

 

Ive been using a 3lbs bar.

 

Or the main purpose is to keep the hands on floor and ribs pulled in and back flat on floor ?

Keilani Gutierrez

I think of this as simply doing a supine handstand line. that means shoulder elevation and protraction, i feel it in my chest as it gets easier and once i bump up the weight (using 11lb right now) i'll feel strain in my lats from pushing "up" along the floor.

MrPuppeh
Keilani Gutierrez said:

I think of this as simply doing a supine handstand line. that means shoulder elevation and protraction, i feel it in my chest as it gets easier and once i bump up the weight (using 11lb right now) i'll feel strain in my lats from pushing "up" along the floor.

But is the video correct then ? ( The athletes hands are resting on the floor )

Should my hands be a few inches above the ground always ?

Murray Truelove

I think your hands should be just floating above the floor.

I imagine it would be quite useless for the floor to take the weight of the bar.

Sensei JP
MrPuppeh said:

But is the video correct then ? ( The athletes hands are resting on the floor )

Should my hands be a few inches above the ground always ?

Coach said in a post (can't find it right now) that your knuckles may brush the floor, but the floor is certainly not carrying the weight.

Keilani Gutierrez
Sensei JP said:

Coach said in a post (can't find it right now) that your knuckles may brush the floor, but the floor is certainly not carrying the weight.

exactly that. :)
BertieW

Also on this, it's not clear on the video, is the time quoted (ie '6secs' or whatever) the time of extension or the time taken to move from the stomach to overhead? I assumed the former (ie, work up to keep the bar in the static 'overhead' position for 30secs) but the video implies the latter. 

Vytautas Pilkauskas
Keilani Gutierrez said:

I think of this as simply doing a supine handstand line. that means shoulder elevation and protraction, i feel it in my chest as it gets easier and once i bump up the weight (using 11lb right now) i'll feel strain in my lats from pushing "up" along the floor.

Never felt it this way. I usually feel pressure in my belly muscles, hips (to some degree) and thighs. :huh:

At the beginning I did it with 18 lbs but that was too much for my shoulders (I used to have chronic injury in my left shoulder) so I scaled it down to 11 lbs (5 kg) and now I almost don't feel anything in my upper body. Am I doing something wrong? Extending arms as far as I can above the head, upper back flat on the ground, lower back pressed firmly into the ground, legs together, toes pointed.

Keilani Gutierrez

we're all strong/ flexible / weak / inflexible in our own ways, thats just where I feel it :) a combination of Lats, Serratus and Abs and thats with 11lbs. if it goes heavier, it highlights other areas

Michael Hart

Hi Guys,

 

I tried this for the first time tonight.  I attempted HS PE4 with a 5ft empty olympic bar. As with the other posts, I'm confused as the video looks like a wooden dowel and the knuckles are on the floor.  I tried a inch or so between the floor and my knuckles, straightened my legs and tried to sink / push my lumbar into the floor.  Is this right?  I didn't know if your mobility was so limited, whether the weighted bar is only meant to provided assistance to push against? I think i may have seen something similar on mobility WOD....  Or whether you definately need to raise the bar off the floor.  Certainly more challenging.  The empty oly bar is fine for now but I dont want to make this too hard for myself, what weight is everyone else using?

 

Thanks in advance, Mike