This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Russian twists weight

Started by Iguanus, February 18, 2015 · 10 Replies · 676 Views

Iguanus

Hey, guys!

 

Just tested new SL PE1 now. It's ugly when you turn all the way from the torso, without cheating with arms (they should always be aligned with your chest, I guess), but way, way, way easier then Arch Body X.

 

I first followed the program lead (3kg/6,6 lbs) and found it was not so taxing. So I amped it up to 5kg (11lbs) and THEN things got interesting. I still managed mastery and was wandering: Coach said higher weights would pay off later, so:

 

1) What weight should we strive to?

2) Should I make it as other exercises, where you keep it on warm up and increase weight?

Keilani Gutierrez

i'm definitely keeping two sets in my warm up, one with a warm up weight and another with working weight. :)

i also wonder upto what weight we should strive for after we move on from it. its a fun drill, especially making sure that the lower back isn't slouched from reaching with the weight or sitting back.

Sensei JP

I regularly do them with a 12lbs medicine ball.  One drill I love is to do a twist, bounce the ball, catch it and then twist back.  These are done much faster than the slow controlled versions presented here, but still an excellent twist on the exercise.  

 

Anway, I can do some with a 20lbs kettlebell, but I doubt at full mastery standard.  I see no reason why we can't get to 20+ lbs over time, especially in a warmup set.  That's my new goal, after I test for mastery tomorrow that is. 

Coach Sommer

The fast tempo version is excellent also and later on I have no issues with SL/PE1 being performed that way.  

 

However many beginners will find that a fast tempo on initially working this skill causes them to unconsciously overstretch their obliques.  They won't notice it at the time, but they certainly will two days later.  My recommendation is to go slow for the first two weeks and then select the tempo that allows you to work the obliques hardest.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Keilani Gutierrez

and in terms of weight, Coach? where would you like us to take it to? 25 / 35lb?

Coach Sommer
Keilani Gutierrez said:

and in terms of weight, Coach? where would you like us to take it to? 25 / 35lb?

 

In this instance, the answer is it depends.  Anywhere from 10-25lbs; whichever weight allows you to get the greatest activation of not only the obliques but also that portion of the obliques that wraps around the side down into the lower back just above the glutes.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Duff

That is actually a really important piece of information; I did mastery yesterday with 5 kg and today I'm sore in the exact spot you're talking about, besides where I'd usually expect to be sore from oblique work. Thanks for posting that.

Mark Schoenhard

Since you have some soreness, do you feel you should go through an entire block of the new PE or move onto the next?

Duff
Mark Schoenhard said:

Since you have some soreness, do you feel you should go through an entire block of the new PE or move onto the next?

I'm always sore after the first workout with a new exercise, regardless of intensity. After that, almost never. Since I did mastery with a good tempo, I believe I'm good to go.

 

BTW, the version where you 'explode' from the side with a forcefull contraction does seem to activate the obliques the most.

Mark Schoenhard

Thank you for sharing.  I like to practice any new PE that I feel I can master immediately for at least a block to strengthen intended muscles and also expand the integrated mobility catalogue.

Nick Roy

I used to do both to get the most out of it. Slow for the stretch and strength throughout the movement and fast tempo for athletic transfer to other activities