This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Struggling with sPL/SE1>iM - Should I take a few steps back?

Started by David Lishego, February 16, 2015 · 6 Replies · 376 Views

David Lishego

Thanks in advance for any input anyone can provide. 

 

A little background:  I've been doing the GB program for about six months after several years of Crossfit.  I've always had mobility issues and some weaknesses with bodyweight strength so this seemed like a great way to fix some of that.  So far it's been great.

 

I'm currently stuck on sPL/SE1> iM (i.e. Bent Arm Half-Straddle Planche Hold) and it's not even close.  The frog stands not an issue at all, but I'm totally struggling with the mobility.

 

I tried a suggestion I found on this board about working up to 3x10 pseudo planche pushups, then 3x10 PPP with feet elevated, then 3x10 PPP with feet elevated and one foot lifted off the box, until you get the strength/mobility/balance to to the Bent Arm Half-Straddle Planche Hold.  

 

What I'm realizing is, I think I cut some corners when I first started the program and gave myself credit for mastering pseudo planche pushups when I probably shouldn't have.  I haven't had problems with the subsequent HBP movements (dips, single bar dips, korean dips, etc.) and am currently working through Undergrip Korean Dips.  

 

I see a few options for how to handle this situation:
 

1)   Take a few steps back - backing up to Pseudo Planche Pushups and an earlier sPL variation to make sure my form, range of motion, etc. is 100% perfect before moving on.  (I suspect this is the way to go, as much as I don't want to do it...)

 

2)  Continue training sPL/SE1 and HBP PE10 and also train pseudo planche pushups as a supplement until I get my strength up to par

 

Would love to get some feedback on the best way to proceed.  Any advice is much appreciated. 

Kasper Stangerup

A third possibility would be to use bands to assist you with the mobility excercise until you can do them un-assisted. I will probably struggle with these as well, when I get to them, but I have dabbled a little and found that I am pretty close to being able to hold the position (but not yet without some piking). I am planning on using bands myself.

DieKatze

i am working this IM right now too and had trouble at the beginning. to be honest, it almost seemed impossible. what i did at the beginning and from then gradually reduced is entering the position with straddled but piked hips. your upper body will not be parallel to the floor but in a 45° angle (exact angle depends of course on your personal strength). from there you can shift your weight towards the front by leaning forward and simultaneously reduce the pike in your hips. what i noticed by doing it this way is that it is not so much about your strength but more a questio of finding the right spot to balance.

 

i did not master the ppp with hands at hip level at the bottom and still i am almost able to do the IM now after a few sessions 8still not perfect though). maybe you can give this a try and see how it feels.

LateStarter@46

I would suggest keeping PPP in your routine (for strength) and doing more SE1iM (for technique). You will need to face-plant a few times. Be careful if your shoulders start complaining - make sure they are recovered before the next session.

If you post a video we can have a laugh make further suggestions  :)

Chris Garay

Hi David,

Those Bent-Arm Straddle Planche holds are a bitch! Ha, in all seriousness though, given your situation I would recommend the following:

- Keep 10 Pseudo Planche Pushups in your warmup, striving to increase the amount of forward lean at both the bottom and top of each rep.

- Just for one cycle, follow a programming template for sPL/SE1>iM. Start from the beginning at 3x2s, and work your way up to 5x10s. You will be doing plenty of Bent-Arm Straddle Planche work over your next several sPL progressions, so spend the time to develop that position correctly. No flailing around or constantly wiggling.

Make sense? Good luck! Post a video too.

Best,

Chris

David Lishego

Thanks, everyone!  I really appreciate all of the suggestions. 

kingzlo
David Lishego said:

Thanks in advance for any input anyone can provide. 

 

I see a few options for how to handle this situation:

 

1)   Take a few steps back - backing up to Pseudo Planche Pushups and an earlier sPL variation to make sure my form, range of motion, etc. is 100% perfect before moving on.  (I suspect this is the way to go, as much as I don't want to do it...)

 

Would love to get some feedback on the best way to proceed.  Any advice is much appreciated. 

I was told this recently and I see how it makes sense after doing further research and execution.  I posted some videos of the sPL/PE1 (scapularShrugs), for starters, and was told my form wasn't all that good.  I even practiced on it and realize that I need to perform more of it much more often, as a warm up, or even go for mastery of them all again for further muscle memory, better FORM, and overall strength.

 

How's it going nowadays with this routine?  Have you taken the advice of stepping backwards for it?