This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Emerging tendon issues, pec major, clavicular head.

Started by Ravn, February 16, 2015 · 4 Replies · 305 Views

Ravn

Hey guys.

 

I'm unfortunately beginning to experience tenderness and stiffness in the clavicular head of the pectoralis major, picture here. The tenderness is located just beneath where the clavicle joins the sternum.

 

It probably stems from a combination of being 39 y.o., playing with the straddle planche and going a bit too hard on the bouldering, in addition to my regular F/H routine four times per week.

 

It probably isn't serious yet, as there is only slight tenderness, but I just wanted to hear if any of you guys had any experience with this and ways to deal with it.

 

In the coming weeks, I will put the pressing exercises on the backburner or cut them out completely to see if this affects the issue. This kinda sucks, as I was just about to commence freestanding HeSPU in earnest, but live to fight another day, I guess.

 

I will of course do the usual therapeutic stuff like massaging, applying heat, and stretching.

 

Any input is appreciated.

Ravn

Follow-up question: I assume that horizontal pressing PE's (e.g. PPP) loads the pec major to a greater extent than vertical pressing PE's (i.e. HeSPU)?

curtis

I think you're correct with your first assumption, and it sounds like you know what to do. I've found that a tennis ball against a wall works far better than lacrosse ball or foam roller. My strain in the same area is slowly dissipating with this approach, and I haven't had to skip a workout.

 

Bye the way, very impressive that you've reached SPL Se-3!

Mark Collins

You may need to check the upper thoracic spine and ribs as well.

Coach Sommer

As always, tendon issues are indicative of working at too high a level of intensity.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer