This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Help with Foundation schedule and frequency.

Started by Maeren, February 14, 2015 · 14 Replies · 610 Views

Maeren

Hello! First of all i want to say that im loving the program , specially the mobility aspect , but im having some trouble fitting it.

 

Well i was following the 4 day per week schedule but i thing im not recovering well , im also doing 2 hours of martial arts (wing chun) on mondays , thursdays and saturdays.

 

My main goal is to be 90 years old and still fliping around like a kid... but also finish foundation in the process while i keep my martial arts , studying etc.

 

Heres what i was thinking , doing F7 only once a week in four workouts (h1 and SL together) and after the main workout , some ring support , active hanging and maybe a quick metcon type of work just to keep variety and cardio.

 

Is this suitable for progress in foundation? the post foundation exercises wouldent be to failure and only 1-2 per workout.

 

Thanks in advance!

 

P.D

sorry for bad english im spanish :) 

chuchodani

I don't know your background but I think you should definitely not include ring support, metcon or active hanging in your post workout. Ring support could be dangerous if you do it prematurely and also another source of fatigue for your already fatigued body from the foundation or H1 workout. Active hanging maybe is a redundant thing due to the F series include some hanging mobility coupled with the RC progressions and If you're doing foundation with the right rest between iM's and strength elements and also between exercises, it could really turn into a HIIT workout  ;). Until you start to create some work capacity and get accustomed (if you already don't) it would be a good idea just do the workout without any added things except for the wing chun.

Maeren

Thanks for the reply!

im in good shape i been working out for about 2 years , and martial arts since a kid , i have good mobility-flexibility (no trouble with IMs) i struggel much more with the PEs.

So a once per week frequency would be enougth for progress?

 

The post workout thing is to keep things vary , break up the routine, try new things etc, the focus would be Foundation but i have the need to keep things fun and fresh to keep going.

chuchodani

I'm doing F7 twice per week, Monday and Friday I do all the Foundation elements and in the rest of the week I have a couple of Handstand training and drills. To me twice per week is the ideal schedule to progress, you just need to test and see what works better for you !

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

I'm having similar issues with fatigue, adrenal fatigue that is. I follow the F1 three days a week and H1 two days a week. I also do the stretch series after H1 and then on saturday (to stagger the stretching). Is stretching post-workout necessary though? In every other sense of exercise it's usually included pretty consistently but I feel like spending 10-20 minutes post workout on stretching and mobility might be overdoing it/redundant. Anyone have any thoughts?

chuchodani
Daniel Taylor-Shaut said:

I'm having similar issues with fatigue, adrenal fatigue that is. I follow the F1 three days a week and H1 two days a week. I also do the stretch series after H1 and then on saturday (to stagger the stretching). Is stretching post-workout necessary though? In every other sense of exercise it's usually included pretty consistently but I feel like spending 10-20 minutes post workout on stretching and mobility might be overdoing it/redundant. Anyone have any thoughts?

I personally don't need to stretch post-workout, I used to have a nice pike flexibility, nice full bridge and a nice pancake. I developed my pike just by jefferson curl, and my bridge just using the proccess of refinement describe it in FL/SE5 iM.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
chuchodani said:

I personally don't need to stretch post-workout, I used to have a nice pike flexibility, nice full bridge and a nice pancake. I developed my pike just by jefferson curl, and my bridge just using the proccess of refinement describe it in FL/SE5 iM.

Hmm.. I'll consider that, as well. I posted a topic on this in mobility and Coach was helpful. Stretching less might actually help me more, as it will give me more time to recover. I'll consider your tip, but with the note of focusing more on my mastery of my mobility down to crossing the very last t and dotting the very last i. Hopefully it helps.

sean

Maeren

 

Your english seems pretty good to me :) . Check out the podcasts Coach has done. In there he has said that he suggests people start off doing less rather than more per week and see how recovery goes. As I think you are already finding out by your poor recovery.

 

Also in the course outline it says that there is no intrinsic value to whether someone does 4 days or 2 day per week on Foundations because it all depends on your ability to recover. You can try to push ahead but your body will push back. You loose every time. I made the same mistake doing more at first. I much rather do less recover better and have more energy for next round than suffer burn out and maybe injury. 

 

This is sorta like your Wing Chun ( which i used to do for years, great martial art, lots of fun) your laying your ground work for success. If you rush it you may miss small elements necessary for future success. In wing chun there is a time and place for speed, but no where do you rush it. I can say one thing I have read elsewhere here is that at some point doing F7 will become part of your training once you start dong your ring training. So perhaps starting off with that once per week for a month then see what happens (as per Coach).  Just my thoughts for what they are worth....buena suerte! ;)

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Based on further review, it seems that the 1-day F7 integrated is my best bet for the setup. It would also allow for less manual tinkering outside of what the 'MyWorkout' option allows for. Just heard a podcast again where you mention that people overestimate their 'studliness' by a factor of three. More rest is better, so I think minimizing the HS workouts to once a week (while incorporating the TBs) will be enough while in Foundation 1, and will adjust as needed as work capacity and connective tissue strength increase. Thanks again for all this feedback. 

sean

F1 webinar is another audio of note as well if you haven't heard it yet. :)

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

I noticed it being uploaded. Haven't had time to check it out yet, though I'm planning to soon.

 

Actually, I lied. I've heard it already. I listen to a lot of webinars and podcasts, forgot that I had.

Jon Douglas
Daniel Taylor-Shaut said:

Just heard a podcast again where you mention that people overestimate their 'studliness' by a factor of three.

I haven't heard this one, but this does sound like Coach :)

sean

I think a " stud " badge should be one you can earn...Coach Sommer's studdly approved :D

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
Jon Douglas said:

I haven't heard this one, but this does sound like Coach :)

It's on Barbell Shrugged. He also mentions the recovery time for muscles versus connective tissue, which is the main weak link in all of this gymnastics stuff. He says that muscles fully repair and recover in about 90 days while connective tissue is more like 200-210 days. That's reassuring when a movement or im is taking six months....I guess if I'm exceptionally immobile in that plane of movement six months is about right, then. No?

sean

I think it depends. If you listen to the F1 webinar they talk about how at NorCal gym ( rob wolfs gym) movements were crushing them mainly because they weren't stretching in the sense that Coach would expect. So it would seem if you are also incorporating the stretch routines, 6 months might be a very potentially less time frame. It's one thing to strengthen ligements for PEs and another to stretch fascia cause of its many long connections I think.