This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Rest between sets in Foundation 1

Started by Kristopher Green, February 14, 2015 · 5 Replies · 259 Views

Kristopher Green

When performing an exercise/progression from Foundation 1, do you only rest 10-20 seconds which is just long enough to do most integrated mobility?

 

I "thought" i was on RC/PE6 because I was completing the previous exercises with around 90 seconds of rest.

 

An example of my training from today:

 

Set 1 RC/PE6 36 second chin over the bar hold. Hop off bar and start rest timer then immediately start integrated mobility, which only takes about 15 seconds. I continue to rest the remainder of the 2 min which i find I need to get the full 36 second hold in subsequent sets. Is this correct? Or should I only do the integrated mobility then hop back on the bar for another 36 second hold set? This would essentially be doing 5 sets of 36 second holds with 15 seconds rest between. Is that truly how it should be done? I don't mind going back and retesting from the start with the new rest rules if I have to, I just want to do it right.

 

Thanks in advance!

gohei_

Yes you should hop on the exercise again as soon as you are done with the iM, no additional rest should be used.

Sensei JP

Just to clarify: IDEALLY, you want as little as rest possible, so just the time it takes for the iM.  For MASTERY, this MUST be the case.

 

That said, while working on it, you may play with time as a variable.  In your case, you currently take 120 sec to transition between sets.  You can then try to whittle that down to 100 sec, then 80, then 60, etc etc until you have no rest.  At that point, you have conquered that element and can progress further.  Every workout should approach the ideal of no rest, even if you aren't there just yet.

 

That said, I have noticed a huge mental benefit to using less rest.  Basically, the longer you rest, the longer your mind has to trick you into thinking you should give up, or about how horrible the next set will be.  As I've moved to virtually zero rest, my results have accelerated, simply because I now give up when my body has had enough, not when my mind has.

Keegan

You need to go back and demonstrate mastery on all previous exercises with no additional rest other than what it takes you to complete the iM. You can introduce more rest while working towards mastery as Sensei JP mentions above, but in order to be able to claim mastery and move on to the next progression you need to perform the exercise and iM pairing to mastery form standards with no additional rest.

KrisGreen14

Thanks for the replies!

 

I'm just going to start from the beginning and retest without any rest so I can find where I really am.

 

I just gained access to the private forums and read the sticky "New to Foundation One Start Here" where it discusses the rest.

 

 

Looking forward to putting in the work and building a rock solid foundation. Thanks!

~Atticus

I wouldn't be too anal about rest times when still working on progressions.  But after you've acquired mastery, it helps to minimize rest.

 

Case-in-point: It took me about 60 weeks to reach the required 5x15 reps on HBP/PE2.  However, I had not mastered the exercise because I would rest for about 1-2 minutes between sets after doing the iM.

 

So I'm now working on mastering it by doing the exercise + iM with no rest after the iM.  I'm not quite at mastery, but will be there in a few weeks.

 

Hope this helps.