This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Constant wrist pain

Started by adimi24, February 10, 2015 · 13 Replies · 652 Views

adimi24

I have pain in the general area of the black blotch in the left arm of that picture. It's pain on the outer part of my right wrist, I'm not sure if it's an extensor issue or something else.  It began about 8 months ago while doing F1 and H1, I don't know what actually caused it. There is usually a constant dull pain, for example, I notice it quite a bit when using my mousepad (which makes me think extensor). It can also be very painful when my wrist is flexed, in a handstand or pushup position for example, especially if i move my wrist to an acute angle (leaning forward over my hands) - this can cause shooting pains. I stopped both F1 and H1 because of this and other reasons and did not do much for several months. The pain lessened but did not go away and I've finally decided I can't sit on my butt any longer so I'm starting to train again and the pain is worsening again... Does anyone have experience with this same pain or have any advice?

 

extensor_carpi01.jpg

ausswe

I had what seems like the same thing..... Tried doing all kinds of wrist stretches. In the end what worked best was taking spl back a lot as well as doing a lot of stretching around the shoulder and chest, dislocates in particular seemed to help.

Vincearoo
Zach Armijo said:

Stretches will help SOME, but you guys need to do some release techniques on your wrists and forearms HARD. Roll them out and work the hell out of them. I use the Little Beasties on my forearms and it took care of my wrists. It will suck as the forearms can be brutal to work on, but once they are worked, you should see rapid results as far as wrist comfort.

Also don't neglect liquefying your biceps as well :tent:

Dang, you use those green spikey balls? I've always wanted to buy one, but haven't yet. Also, ow. I get enough displeasure from using lacrosse balls. One on top and one on the bottom...rolling my forearms is definitely my least favorite area.
adimi24

Zach, do you think this is just a matter of rolling it out or a more acute injury? I see you're a GB coach, is this a common problem?

Keilani Gutierrez

i'm stating the blatantly obvious to avoid assumption, a good way to release the bicep would be what? good ol' prone chest statics with a lacrosse ball or dowel? assuming there isn't a partner involved.

adimi24

Zach, thank you for the information. I guess I will take it easy and continue exercises that don't bother it and try some of the things you recommended. I did some reading on trigger points in the forearm and am rolling them out with the lacrosse ball. Is the spikey ball worth the $25 ( I already have lacrosse ball, tennis ball, and ping pong balls)?  

 

I'm also buying a finger extensor tool

Daniel Stephan

I also have wrist pain problems and what had a tremendously positive effect already after the first session is this little routine here:

 

I'm no expert as to how it works and what's the mechanics behind it, but for me, it instantly relieved a lot of my pain.

So you might want to try that out as well.

emilianop

Good to know, added to the cart! :)

 

Zach, do you have any valid pointers on how to CORRECTLY use them and get the best out of those tools?

Googling around you find all sort of reference....

amalekited
emilianop said:

do you have any valid pointers on how to CORRECTLY use them and get the best out of those tools?.

 

 

You might find this helpful for specific forearm/wrist release techniques.  

 

-C

Nino Begovic

I'm finding it hard to press hard enough for long enough time on the forearms. I don't know about the green beastie, but I've tried with a golf ball without being fully satisfied. Green beastie seems like something worth the money though. To share another nice way, I've found that the body weighted kneecap can very nicely demolish certain parts of the forearms. Simply placing the forearm on the floor, and finding a way to balance as much weight as possible through the kneecap on the forearm. Killer! 

vinni20

Hi Adimi, i think i might be able to help. I am currently in physical therapy school at the moment. From the description of your symptoms, it sound like you might have experienced an injury of what is called the TFCC. it is a complex of ligaments and tissue located at your site of pain in your wrist that help support your wrist. Does your pain get worse if you use your arms to push yourself out of a seat? Or does it hurt if you place your whole hand under a table, so that your wrist is touching the edge of the table, and lift up towards the ceiling? You can find more information here: http://www.physio-pedia.com/Triangular_Fibrocartilage_Complex_Injuries.

I recommend decreasing your activity level and dont do stretches or any exercises that make it hurt. It will be very important to maintain mobility in your wrist by doing so passive movements using your other hand. Also, look up so light wrist exercises to maintain strength but none of the exercises should hurt, otherwise your working it too hard. 

 

Anyone know how to add pictures, I cant seem to figure it out? I wan to pose a picture of the TFCC.

adimi24

Vinni, those two things don't particularly hurt. Wrist stretch #1 from handstand 1 (palm on ground and fingers towards body) is quite a stretch / causes pain. However, that position doesn't cause the shooting pains I mentioned, those mostly occur Wrist stretch #3 (when my palms are on the ground and fingers away from body and leaning forward).