This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

My Dad Has A Leg Injury-I want to help him get fit and loose weight

Started by HB_Ron, February 6, 2015 · 4 Replies · 170 Views

HB_Ron
Hey good people,

My father started doing some slow walking.(usually in the sand)

My father's overweight. Near 100kg at 1.8m tall and at the age of 56.

I suggested him that he think about moving into running in the future. Unfortunately I couldn't convince him. He explained to me that he has Thrombosis- a leg injury from a long long time ago..

 

I really want to help him get healthier and loose weight(he would love that too!).  I wanted to suggest him to do Foundation 1. Although I think it's pretty dangerous at his weight, especially beginning with SLS/PE1... Is there something he can do to improve his condition?

 

I would really be glad for some advice from a person who had this kind of injury or/and from an experienced who knows how to deal with/treat this.

 

Thanks a lot in advanced!! 

old dude_1969

Thrombosis is a condition where one abnormally develops blood clots in his or her veins. It can occasionally be painful and can actually lead to more serious conditions such as pulmonary embolism. He really should have medical clearance prior to exercise. Hope this helps.

Rayne-William

If you aren't already walking with him. Walking with him will be encouragment to him.

 

Tell him in your native tongue. "The Earth is older than you are. Look around you and realize how young you really are."

Oompa2

Mate I am in a similar situation with my father, except for the illness (although he has a fairly severe knee injury he recieved during Rugby in his twenties).

 

I have started him on skipping, using 'Jump Rope Training' (http://www.amazon.com/Jump-Rope-Training-2nd-Edition/dp/0736081593) and he is enjoying it.

He walks every morning - living on an island, he loves to get up and go for a sunrise walk. Probably a few KM and he finishes going up and down the hill a few times to get his heart rate up.

The first solution is to loose enough weight to do other types of training - which is what I am trying to help my father with.

PM me if you want more info on what I have advised my Dad (regarding the jump rope programming and the why) 

Hope that helps :) I completely understand your situation.

 

- Callum

HB_Ron

Thanks guys! Sorry for the delay-I caught a flu again and barley could move a muscle  :(

Now I need to catch up with foundation..

Rayne-William said:

If you aren't already walking with him. Walking with him will be encouragment to him.

 

Tell him in your native tongue. "The Earth is older than you are. Look around you and realize how young you really are."

I'm walking with my dad more often now and at his rhythm. I had a pretty long talk with him last week, and I was surprised in a good way.. He sees himself young at his age ! I will use this quote when the time comes , if ever needed. ;)