This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Wth..... Straight arm body levers

Started by ausswe, February 6, 2015 · 5 Replies · 353 Views

ausswe

Hej everyone,

When I first went from hollow body rocks to body lever negatives I thought "holy cow this is much harder" but after a few weeks I had them mastered and managed to master the next few progressions quite easily.

Currently on the body lever reps ATM and decided for fun to try 1 straight arm body lever rep....

Holy cow!!! It is a different beast again... I don't even know what to activate to pull back up. I just can't believe the huge jump in strength from bent arms to straight arms for these... Granted I have not mastered bent arm version or the negative straight arm but still it is crazy how much strength I will gain from these.... I wouldn't be surprised if I can holy a few second front lever after mastering the straight arm version....

Anyway just shocked again at the jump in strength required.

Cheers

Joshua Slocum

I found the jump from body levers to negative vertical body levers to be pretty smooth. I started on week 5 for nVBL. However, I was already able to hold a front lever for a few seconds before starting the body lever progressions. 

markp

I could do 5x5 vertical body levers the first time I tried them (without training any body levers at all) but I couldn't hold a full front lever (not even close to it). I used to do 5x5 advanced tuck FL pulls with ankle weights before that though, so I suppose that has helped a lot.

I've built the VBL up to 5x10 reps and now do 1 set of 10 in my warm up for FL training.

ausswe

I can pull into a front lever but only hold it for a split second which is why I think I may be able to hold it for a second or 2 once I've mastered the straight Arm levers... Still have to master body levers though maybe once I've done that an the negative straight arms it won't be an issue any more.

B1214N
ausswe said:

I can pull into a front lever but only hold it for a split second which is why I think I may be able to hold it for a second or 2 once I've mastered the straight Arm levers... Still have to master body levers though maybe once I've done that an the negative straight arms it won't be an issue any more.

Maybe your arms weren't quite locked when you pulled to FL.

ausswe

They definitely were. Had to engage te triceps hard to do the pull and video taped it. Still can't hold the position I just pull to it then quickly come down. Probably just the momentum I gain from the explosive pull. I don't swing but the start I think I pull hard enough for my body to follow through to horizontal but no further