This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Foundation Training whilst out field

Started by Oompa2, February 5, 2015 · 3 Replies · 156 Views

Oompa2

G'day everyone,

 

In a month's time I will be going out field for around 21 days. Luckily, it is in an instructional role so I will get probably eight hours within every twenty-four to myself.

 

Among writing reports and making observation, there should be some opportunity to do some training - and one of the other instructors coming along with me is a fitness 'nut' so he will likely want to join in, which is good.

 

I was thinking about some options for training F1 & H1/H2 without equipment. I came up with the following:

 

- Regress an exercise to a previous element that does not require equipment and run a mastery cycle (for this exercise only) until I return from field.

 

- Look at a future element in a progression and begin conducting that exercise (taking it with relative precaution). For example, I might not have access to rings, but could probably find something to hang off - I am on RC PE3 but could move forward and begin some RC PE5 training.

 

- In the instance of mobility exercises, maintain the strength element (if I can do it without equipment) but regress the mobility to an element that does not require equipment. Example - doing Pseudo Planche Push-ups with Cat Cows for mobility.

 

Any thoughts, or experiences with a similar situation?

 

- Callum

 

P.S. Current elements trained are in the sig block :D

Salivanth

sPL's mobility can be done on any reasonably elevated surface.

MN/PE6 can be done on a regular bar temporarily. If you don't have access to a bar / tree branch, you could either regress to V-ups, or do some alternate core work for a while. (Maybe do some body lever or L-sit work. Neither will have the same pike element that HLL's do, but it's something.)

For HBP, you can do the exercise with a makeshift dumbbell, such as a 2-litre / half-gallon milk jug. (Empty it, fill it with water.) If this doesn't work, just skip the mobility and take 30 seconds of rest.

RC/PE3 can be done on a bar / hanging off something as well, just pull up as high as you can.

I don't think there's any way around HS/PE4. I think going back to HS/PE3 is the only way. Skipping forward three elements seems like a rather major jump.

I don't own H2, so I can't help you with pHS, which I assume is Press Handstand.

Jon Douglas

Depends how active you are. If you are out administering corrective training a lot, I've had success for periods of up to four or so weeks dropping to high volume (say some 1-200 reps in sets of 5-10 over the course of the day) in very simple movements-- pullups, sls, wall hespu, pushup variants, bridging. Found this kind of shakeup actually seemed to accelerate my f progressions when I was back in position to train with luxury of equipment-- sometimes its just a change of pace. To me this felt like joint therapy time.

Alternatively, up the intensity/drop the volume to free up as much time as possible, then resume as normal afterwards-- capitalise on a traditional intensification/accumulation structure that you are 'gently guided' into :)

Oompa2

Thanks for the responses guys.

 

Sal - appreciate you looking at my schedule specifically and some good advice. I too had thought about just doing bulk sets of V-Ups to 'maintain' my Manna progression.

Jon - Nice idea doing high volume, and it certainly wouldn't be the first time I have been out field and been challenged to 500 (or 1000) push ups per day :D Sounds like you have been there before.