This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Results - one year on Foundation 1 and Handstand 1

Started by Jay B., February 5, 2015 · 8 Replies · 1,031 Views

Jay B.

It's been almost a full year since I started F1 and H1. Probably 7 months since I started doing things right. My first few months I really pushed the cycle as though I were a powerlifter, which only led to pains in my shoulders.

 

I posted here, got some advice from you guys and Coach Sommers, and listened to the Sommers podcast with Rob Wolf where he talks about connective tissue taking twice as long as muscle to grow.

 

So I was patient. The things I could successfully do the PE1 for I did at five sets of either 60s or 15reps and focused on the iM. The things I could not do at the PE1 level (RC, SL) I broke down into smaller strength goals. If my joints couldn't handle the movement without clicking, I'd hold a static position in the weakest range for 5x60s or build up to 5x60s (in the case of RC). And the SLbaby steps posted here were golden.

 

I really just focused on movement because a lot of things were out of balance. Huge strength imbalances/deficits in my shoulders, back/chest and forearms.

 

Over time more and more muscles started jumping to life. Movements became easier and more fluid. Clicking, popping and pain in my shoulders disappeared

 

As of two weeks ago I started the full RC and SL PE1 movements to try to work towards mastery. Pretty soon I'll be posting form checks and maybe even graduating to PE2, but I'm not rushing it at all. Realistically I could still see benefits from PE1 for a long time.

 

Interestingly, the time I saw the most explosive improvements were when I'd do all of F1 and all of H1 on the same day, every other day. Hitting everything three times a week really accelerated my progress, but I probably won't be able to keep doing it after Feb. (Life gets in the way -- generally took me 2-3 hours to do everything.)

 

RESULTS:

 

1. A fully functioning human! Complex movements like TGUs and BJJ sit-throughs or hip-outs are really solid and fluid, with no issues of shoulder integrity. Even though most of these movements haven't challenged me much strengthwise, my strength is exploding as imbalances are cleared up and I'm able to exert my current strength levels in ranges/planes of motion that were previously unsafe.

 

2. Muscle growth in my forearms, biceps and triceps and HUGE growth in my lats, traps and rear delts. While dieting and losing 25lbs. I now weigh 210lbs.

 

 

 

VERY HAPPY WITH THIS PROGRAM! BEST INVESTMENT I EVER MADE! GLAD I LISTENED TO THAT COACH SOMMERS PODCAST THAT CONVINCED ME I NEEDED PATIENCE!

wamarler

How old are you, if you don't mind sharing?

Jay B.

34 years old. Last 14 of those years spent beating up my body with martial arts and weightlifting.

KootBear

That was really exciting to read.

Great job!

347mont

This sounds like where I am with the imbalances you mention. I only started GB F1  and H1

 

less than a week ago, and I find RC PE1 very difficult to get the correct form with that exercise

 

I'm a long way off the mark with that one. I hope like you after 6 or so months to feel like I have

 

a much better balanced and aligned body, with a ton of strength to boot  :D. Congratulation.

Joel Savell

Thanks for the good lesson in patience.  It's tough.  I feel like I'm going to be stuck on the mobility portion of H1PE2 for a long time(I've already been through the week 9-12 block several times, and I'm still very tight), and I may even have to go back to PE1 as I'm not sure I was really doing the full stretch with the mobility element.

Jay B.

Can't belive this topic has been revived!

 

I have to say that I bought the stretching series and my body is completely transforming at a shocking pace. It's doing more for my mobility than the F1 and H1 programs. I would even go so far as to say that all progress I make in F1 and H1 will be due to the stretching series speeding up my mobility gains. VERY happy with the stretch work.

Paul Bassett

which one did you buy and how is your progress two years on?

 

Tanya Hill

Great news, Jason. One who takes time to stretch makes killer gains. Keep it up.