3 months to get full front split and butterfly

Started by flexyflexy11, February 3, 2015 · 12 Replies · 7,401 Views

flexyflexy11

The title basically says it all. I will be starting bjj come may, and was explaining to my girlfriend the importance of a flexible groin in bjj. Knowing I am super competitive, she bet me that I couldn't do a full butterfly stretch by may, I agreed, and since I have always wanted to do a full front split, I decided to throw that in the bet too.

 

I have absolutely horrible groin flexibility :P I can maybe get my knees to form a 35 degree angle with the floor without weight in a butterfly stretch. For the full front splits I am much better, being about 4 inches from the ground on my right split and about 4.5-5 inches off the ground for my left split.

 

I can't let my girlfriend win this! I will endure any amounts of pain I am told to endure, as long as I will reach my goals by may. Since gymnasts are some of the most flexible people on earth, I thought I'd ask for advice here. How should I approach this? How often should I stretch, and what stretches and techniques should I do  to achieve both the full butterfly and front split in 3 months? I will do whatever you guys say! :P Thanks!

bamartens

The Stretch courses are supposed to be released shortly, I would imagine they would cover your needs.  Whether or not you can complete your goals in that time frame, that's hard to say.

Blairbob

 We generally did butterly stretch every day after our warmup. Hunch over and use your elbows to push down your knees. 30 or 60 seconds.

 

 Or maybe just practice doing a lot of froggie splits in missionary.

ausswe

I really doubt they will be released soon enough but 3 months should be enough time. I went from slightly better flexibility than you to side splits in 1.5 months or so without too much dedicated stretching. Did a lot of cartwheels and handstand kick ups which seemed to help keep my legs stretchy :P

Murray Truelove
Blairbob said:

We generally did butterly stretch every day after our warmup. Hunch over and use your elbows to push down your knees. 30 or 60 seconds.

Or maybe just practice doing a lot of froggie splits in missionary.

More missionary, got it!

Bro'

Yeah, frog splits during missionary are boss. You'll feel it in your thighs.  :lol:

Ravn
Murray Truelove said:

More missionary, got it!

At least twice a week for it to be effective!

flexyflexy11

haha so more missionary, got it :P

 

how long should I stay in the front splits for, and should I do pnf? and is pnf effective for the butterfly stretch? thanks!

ussjkenny

As someone who does BJJ, I can honestly say the percentage of BJJ guys that I've met with splits in any direction is very small.

jkdfighter81

I have been training in bjj for a while and have yet to meet someone who can do a split.... matter of fact have yet to meet someone with anytHing but average flexibility

Wolf with one Ear

The hip mobility needed for BJJ is not directly related to being able to do the splits.  The legs at the hips will be need to be mobile in three dimensions, and be able to stretch under load.  While being able to do the splits is a fine enough goal, I don't think it will translate directly to improving one's BJJ.  There are other mobility exercises discusses in this forum and in Foundations that may be more beneficial.  

 

I came to BJJ being able to almost do side and front splits, but I discovered that I had relatively poor hip mobility in many other respects.  Flexibility is of course an asset, but I would not be too focused on splits.  My guard was passed all the time, no matter how wide someone could spread my legs.  

Keilani Gutierrez

so what would be beneficial then? internal and external rotation capacity? compression?

flexyflexy11

I know the splits aren't necessary for bjj, and I'm not aiming at doing the front splits for bjj preparation. The front splits have just been something I've always wanted to be able to do. My friends (2 brown belts in bjj) say the most important areas to make mobile for bjj are your glutes/hips (I am already pretty mobile in this area - can almost always get my foot behind my head without warming up) and your groin - hence the goal of a full butterfly.