This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

sPL/PE4-iM - Straddle donkey kick back pain

Started by Anthony Clyne, February 3, 2015 · 3 Replies · 98 Views

Anthony Clyne

Hey all, 

working through the straddle planche progression as normal, since I got to the straddle donkey kick i've had pain in my lower back connecting to my glutes.

 

I had a similar problem with the reverse hypers from the earlier element but it subsided after a few weeks. This has been consistent for about 5 weeks and its starting to affect my running. Is this due to weakness in the lower back, something mechanical or something else entirely? Thanks in advance!

Cole Dano

Hard to say without video, but my first guess would be you are arching your back in these. 

Nick Roy

I'd have to agree with cole. I'm the same way. Your glutes are likely inactive so your back is picking up the slack and that's causing the strain.

Try relaxing the back before your workouts by laying on the floor at the foot of your couch, resting your lower legs in the seat. Just focus on your breath and allow your muscles to relax. 5-10 min should do the job.

Also, if your hip flexors are tight that can make this exercise harder than necessary. Taking time to relax and stretch those should provide benefits as well

Anthony Clyne

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll give it a go :)