This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Foundation and progression. Does it work for everyone?

Started by Igor Czerniawski, January 30, 2015 · 4 Replies · 365 Views

Igor Czerniawski

A bit of info before I start. 40 years old, 90kg ,already had abilities to do some of the strength movements, 5 sec front lever, muscle ups, rope climbing, 30 sec l-seat, but did not have ability to do some of the foundation 1 masteries. So, let's go back to basics:)

I do try to be faithful to the foundation and follow the exact programme, but somehow some of this progressions do not really work well for me. I have also had a chance to talk to some of the quite high level gymnasts, and although they didn't question the programme they admitted that for someone like me in 40s weighing 90 kg, it might not be ideal. There are certainly different approaches even for gymnasts.

For example 5x60 bent arm chin hang with just 5 stretches in between, mission impossible no matter how I manipulate sets and reps. 3x60 was my best forever, until I started to take longer rests between sets. After achieving 5x60 with longer rests I would make a progression using shorter rest times, and that's the only way that would let me move forward.

Also how do all progressions work with endurance and strength theory ? I thought that mixing one with another is never a good idea, but taking into consideration number of imbalances in our body, many of us might work on muscular endurance and strength in one workout. For example you might be working for 5x60 of chin hang in one workout together with more of the strength exercise like 5x5 of dips. Wouldn't sticking to pure strength or endurance without mixing two together, be more efficient? It certainly works for me. What is your take on this guys ? Do you take different paths to achieve masteries ? or you simply stick to the templates no matter what?

ausswe

I have tried so many different ways of busting through plateaus but my body just does not want to adapt to endurance.... In the end I had to change the way I hit mastery and I believe a lot of people have done the same. Probably most people

Oompa2

I suspect Coach might chime in here with something like... "guys, 5x60 is not endurance work"

 

:P

 

- Callum

Murray Truelove

No program ever invented will work for everyone. The point of the courses being paired with the forum is that when you're having difficulties you can post and hopefully get feedback and guidance.

There are multiple threads on overcoming plateau's, getting started, FAQ's and over people's form checks.

It's important to try an educate yourself while you make your way through the courses and try and make adjustments, if you are unsure post "RC PE/6 having trouble with x, thinking of trying y".

I'm currently running FL/PE5 and RC/PE6 off the 30s mastery template and so far haven't failed a set and that's with the prescribed rest. By contrast HBP/PE2 followed the template almost exactly until I got to 5x15r which I had to repeat for a couple of cycles while I got the rest time down to just the IM.

Don't lose heart.

Igor Czerniawski
Murray Truelove said:

I'm currently running FL/PE5 and RC/PE6 off the 30s mastery template and so far haven't failed a set and that's with the prescribed rest.

The fun starts when you approach 50 seconds :)