This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Hand Width in Handstand - Joshua, Alex Would Appreciate Your Feedback!

Started by Nash, January 30, 2015 · 8 Replies · 303 Views

Nash

Hey all,

 

Keilani was wondering about my hand width in my latest post and now I am as well. I looked throughout the material, but couldn't find the answer.

 

Is my arm width in the photo below acceptable for mastery for PE11?

 

I re-tried for mastery with a much narrower width, but I couldn't go past the 40s. Before moving on, I'd like to make sure, otherwise, I'll repeat this at a narrower width.

 

Thanks!

 

 

-Nash

post-6337-0-88947500-1422658228_thumb.jp

Joshua Slocum

It looks a *little* wide to me. Officially speaking, handstand and press work should be done at a width that feels comfortable. Personally I'd recommend getting at least to the point where you can perform the exercises at shoulder width plus a hand on either side - a few inches narrower than you are now. 

 

What width is good is partially dependent on what your goals are. One advantage to having a shoulder width handstand is that pirouettes and transitions to one-arms are easier, and they're a bit easier to hold for long periods of time.

Nash
Joshua Slocum said:

It looks a *little* wide to me. Officially speaking, handstand and press work should be done at a width that feels comfortable. Personally I'd recommend getting at least to the point where you can perform the exercises at shoulder width plus a hand on either side - a few inches narrower than you are now. 

 

What width is good is partially dependent on what your goals are. One advantage to having a shoulder width handstand is that pirouettes and transitions to one-arms are easier, and they're a bit easier to hold for long periods of time.

Makes sense, thank you.

 

Do you think that it would be an acceptable strategy to start narrowing the width as I move forward with the progressions (PE12, SE1...) as opposed to repeating PE11 micro-cycles?

Rayne-William

For what it is worth and going off the attached photo.

 

Flex your triceps while doing your handstand work.
 

Nash
Rayne-William said:

For what it is worth and going off the attached photo.

 

Flex your triceps while doing your handstand work.

 

Hi Rayne, 

 

They are flexed. I don't think I can open open my shoulders without flexing my triceps to the max. It's just that they're too small :)

Rayne-William

Hmm... Can you elevate your scapula higher?

 

The Hollow Back Press integrated mobility elements are for developing the range of motion and strength of your shoulder girdle.

 

Personally speaking When I am doing my handstand work with tricpes flexed it makes breathing easier.

Granted my hand placement is shoulder width and my wrists are six inches away from the wall.

Nash
Rayne-William said:

Hmm... Can you elevate your scapula higher?

Nope. That's my max. You'd have to see it unelevated to get an idea of how much elevation I'm getting.

Rayne-William

Knowing that you are holding full scapula elevation, I can tell how much elevation you are getting.

 

Developing the shoulder girdle's range of motion and strength is just one of those things most adult fitness enthusiast need to constantly work on.

Thank you for answering my questions.

Joshua Slocum
Nash said:

Makes sense, thank you.

 

Do you think that it would be an acceptable strategy to start narrowing the width as I move forward with the progressions (PE12, SE1...) as opposed to repeating PE11 micro-cycles?

I think you'll have better progress, long-term, if you master each PE at the same width (e.g. the width you intend to do handstands at, or slightly narrower)