This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

ABR - Arch Body Rock - SLPE2

Started by Richard Sassoon, January 30, 2015 · 6 Replies · 167 Views

Richard Sassoon

Well, I'm finally here at the rocks, and thanks to previous topics on the subject I managed not to hurt my parts :)

I'm actually enjoying the rocks more than the holds but it will definitely take some time to get to mastery...

 

I don't manage to get my feet so high up as in the course video, is that something with glute strength and tight hip flexors, and lack of some momentum? My rocks still look kind of small... Any pointers?

 

Thanks!

 

 

PS: I added a short hold at the end just as a measure of my ABH ROM.

Richard Sassoon

I wonder if anyone has some feedback on how to improve my form before my next workout? :)

HB_Ron

I haven't reached PE2 yet, but I performed it in the past. How's your ABH? You need to arch more by pulling higher with your heels. Also, it would be awesome if you can open your shoulders more. Personally I prefer to start with a hold and after a few seconds I begin to rock(by focusing that the swinging will come from the heels). But , that's just a personal preference. 

 

In the video it looks like you're using your hands to swing and that causes your shoulders to close. The swing should come from the heels and the shoulders shouldn't move, in my opinion.

Niklas03

The first time I tried ABR might have been the biggest slap in the face yet in this program. I had done them years before Foundations, but even after mastering the hold with better form this time around, this progression required a new level of attention to detail and fortitude. Limbs were flailing, shapes were buckling and spirits were crushed...

 

I don't think it's tight hip flexors, as your ABH seems fine, but maybe an activation/skill thingy.

 

My queue for the forward rock is lead with the heels. As soon as my shoulders start to descend I "overreach" from the hips down: extend the hip, straighten the knees and possibly the most important thing is that I reach up with heels, not so much forward. Queuing "up" helps me keep the knees straight.

 

Another drill to play around with is to exaggerate the swing to find the groove. Once you have a solid shape (and a queue for keeping it strong) try rocking to your upper chest and even past that. In the beginning some arm swinging and leg bending might be a necessary evil to find the momentum. Go crazy and really reach for the stars. It might help you activate some pattern missing from the puzzle.

Alexander Egebak

Yes, you need to rock "higher" but you also need to tighten up. Every body part should move at the same time, but it is like your torso and legs are separated in the movement. I cannot explain this any better; I hope you understand me. Else someone must provide a better explanation

Matthew Berghella

When you start descending with your upper body do not lower your arms, instead keep them raised as high as possible and open the chest.  All the while maintain straight arms and legs.   Also do not nod your head for momentum.

Richard Sassoon

Thanks everyone! A lot of helpful tips/feedbacks :)

I applied it today already and could feel the difference. Leading with the heels is pure gold! But it does get me tired quicker as I try to keep the whole body as a unit. Specially later in the set I noticed that I do use my arms and head for momentum, which is a bit less now after putting in practice the cues here. I'm sure it will be better soon enough when I don't need to think about all the pointers.

 

Thanks again! This will be another long journey after almost 1 year with ABH :S