How to "emulate" real gymnastics rings

Started by RingMax, January 29, 2015 · 9 Replies · 5,866 Views

RingMax

Today I trained at a nearby gymanstics facility. The coaches checked my form on most basic exercises. I did quite well on most of them, such as Tuck Planche, Pull Up variations and so on and so forth. However I realized, that every exercise requiring a ring support was so much harder than at home. My rings at home are attached to the ceiling of my basement by 1,5m long straps. The straps on the professional ring frame were way longer (and thus the rings were far more instable). Is there any way for me to emulate the expirience of "real" rings at home? I can not hang my rings higher...

I don`t expect a solution, however Coach might have something in his backpocket...

Thank you guys!

Jon Douglas

I have had some success with getting thick (insulated) wire and making a loop to hang each ring strap in. Hang the wire over the bar or whatever. The instability factor is far higher.

RingMax

Cheers Mate, I´ll give it a shot!

Blairbob

  Setting the straps wide is what we used to do when we hung rings from a low bar.

If you were in the US, I would hang the straps from a field goal on a football field.

Straps on a ring tower should be about 10' long. 9.8 exactly. Quite often ceiling hung straps are between 15-20'. 15' is a bit harder than 10' but after that, 15 or 20' is about the same.

There is a big difference from 3 to 5 to 10 feet.

Cole Dano

I find that using a D-ring on the strap adds to the instability. My set up at home is O-ring anchor in the ceiling, Carabineer, D-ring on the strap.  It's not the same as long straps, but there is a difference.

RingMax

Thank you guys for your input. I´ll have to visit my local hardware store today. I´ll shoot you a picture of my construction, when it´s ready to use. I´ll probably use a combination of D-Rings, carabineers and insulated wire.

The idea of setting the straps further apart is great, however I already drilled some wholes in the ceiling which are roughly 50-55 cm apart..

Cole Dano

If you go with wire, I don't think the D-rings would matter much, in any case you'd want an actual round ring for that application.

 

Also if you do get some sort of ring, it's vital it be welded. It should be impossible to pull open.

RingMax

I ordered the stuff I Need at the local Hardware store and an outdoor shop. I´ll attach some looped steel wiring to the screws in my ceiling. The Ring straps will be connected to the steel wiring by carabineers.

Unfortunately I´ll have to wait a few days till I can pick up the Hardware. I´ll keep you up to date!

RingMax

So that´s it. I will get some steel wiring as soon as my next paycheck drops in  :P

post-14165-0-84066200-1424102329_thumb.j

bobthepi

Hey Jon, I don't fully understand your setup :( Could you post a pic or something? Thanks so much!