This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Questions regarding some post-Foundation exercises

Started by Krel, January 29, 2015 · 7 Replies · 318 Views

Krel

A little curiosity ! :)

 

Front Lever, Straddle Planche, Side Lever, Manna, Single Leg Squat & Fundamental Leg Strength, Hollow Back Press and Rope Climbing are covered in Foundation Series.

 

Among the following skills by GST standards, which ones are useful ? Which ones are useless because they lead nowhere/because they are not worth the effort/because they are not usable in competition ?

 

- Front Lever Row, One Arm Front Lever, One Arm Front Lever Row

- Straddle Planche Push Up, Planche, Planche Push Up, One Arm Planche, One Arm Planche Push Up

- Side Lever Pull Up, Side Lever Muscle Up

- Manna Lifts, Manna Dislocate (without momentum), High Manna, High Manna Dislocate

- One Arm Pull/Chin Up, One Arm Rope Climbing

- Back Lever Pull Up, One Arm Back Lever, One Arm Back Lever Pull Up

- Entrada de Angel

- Planche Press, One Arm Planche Press

 

Among the skills that are useful, do you think some of them should be worked along with Ring Series ? I'm mostly thinking about One Arm Pull/Chin Up, Manna Lifts and Planche on floor.

 

Can I skip HS/PE5-6-7-8>iM to do High Manna Dislocate instead ? :lol:

By the way today is Thursday.... F7 let's go !

korija

oh boy

jules
Krel said:

which ones are useful ? Which ones are useless because they lead nowhere/because they are not worth the effort/because they are not usable in competition ?

 

They are ALL 'useful' because they are FOUNDATIONAL elements. Without them you can't progress (safety and effectively) to more advanced exercises.  

ausswe

I think he meant all the other skills after foundation. Not the foundation skills. They are obviously useful.

jules

Either way its a moot point. Make foundation your goal now. When you're done, then focus your attention on what skills you want and go from there. 

Keilani Gutierrez

I think the least useful movements would be the ones that center around making you do redundant exercises. 

 

kind of like doing front lever rows. not that i'm saying it's a bad exercise! only that if you're doing say, rope climbs (bent arm pull) and Front Lever Pulls (straight arm MPPu) I wouldn't do front lever rows, i'd think. at least not as part of my day-in-day-out conditioning. 

 

or instead of doing back lever pulls(or pelicans) I'd be working Back Levers and reverse muscle up. so really, just reduce redundancy and stick to the core movements, is what i'd do. but given that i'm not at the level of performing said movements(BL, full FL, RMU, etc) I really don't know what i'd be doing at that point.

 

what i DO know is that i'll only be using easier progressions for warm up.

Jon Douglas

Disclaimer;

It's about efficiency and return on time invested for me. I don't care about getting cool moves at all. It's up to whoever whether they want to attain a skill just because it's there, that's a cool thing, but it's not for me :)

 

 

- Front Lever Row, One Arm Front Lever, One Arm Front Lever Row

 

Front lever row certainly. But you need a front lever first, so this is post-Foundation :)

Personally I don't like 1 arm FL, in part because they are almost always done on their side, and I prefer side lever variations. I'd also rather see strict FL rows than the weird spasms accompanying the majority of OAFL row videos.

 

- Straddle Planche Push Up, Planche, Planche Push Up, One Arm Planche, One Arm Planche Push Up

 

Again, you need a straddle planche to do sPLPu. I am willing to admit that hypothetically someone could get a full planche without a straddle, but have never heard of that. One arm planches in the vast majority of cases are handbalancing flag variations, and personally I'd rather train it as part of that discipline than do some weird hybrid. If you are training one arm planches though, you are hardly still building Foundational strength :)

 

- Side Lever Pull Up, Side Lever Muscle Up

 

I don't have a lot of experience with these, and I'm not sure what they offer that side lever pulls (straight arms, vertical to vertical) don't do. They do look cool and demonstrate great control.

 

- Manna Lifts, Manna Dislocate (without momentum), High Manna, High Manna Dislocate

 

These are absolutely to be pursued. Coach has written plenty about his manna leg lift series (search the essays on the forum), and the others are excellent goals to work towards.

Seriously though, high manna? That's competitive career capstone stuff. I have seen fewer high mannas than Victorians.

 

- One Arm Pull/Chin Up, One Arm Rope Climbing

 

Don't like em over normal rope climbing personally, but they'd certainly build good strength and are good fun to train. For the pursuit of rings though, the joint prep aspect of higher volume RC is superior.

 

- Back Lever Pull Up, One Arm Back Lever, One Arm Back Lever Pull Up

 

Back lever curls and Ians are excellent things, but again are above Foundation level. This is punching above my weight class too, but I have heard some guys finding them substantially harder than the inverted curl in a reverse muscle-up, which is a higher level element in the Rings series.

OABL I randomly discovered I could do quite easily without training it. Nice shoulder mobility element, I can definitely see there being benefits here if it's trained long term. I have not seen OABL pullups, no doubt they'd be damn effective for what they do.

 

- Entrada de Angel

 

Sure, why not.

 

- Planche Press, One Arm Planche Press

 

Planche press sure. For one arm pl press, see one arm planches above. Handbalancing is a wonderful discipline and pursuit in itself and it makes more sense to me to train it according to its principles than trying to put together an isolated move :)

Krel said:

Among the skills that are useful, do you think some of them should be worked along with Ring Series ? I'm mostly thinking about One Arm Pull/Chin Up, Manna Lifts and Planche on floor.

 

 

Pass over one arm pulls for rope climbs; far better return for the recovery / effort and better joint prep (ability to do a whole lot more volume is a big factor).

 

 

If you're working at the level of a lot of these skills though, you are in a position to get away with a whole lot in training and still improve. For myself, it's about doing less, but barhitting and whatnot prefer the variety of the freestyle stuff. Whatever floats your boat. At this point in my life I'm not going to tell anyone who can legitimately eye off high manna dislocates how to train GST.

Krel

Thank you for this great answer Jon :)
 
Matteo Spinazzola OAFL and OAFL Rows are incredible. He is also close to Victorian, could it be a side effect of advanced FL training ?
Here is the best One Arm Planche I have ever seen. I remember having seen a One Arm Planche Push Up on a fb video too.
High manna is very rare indeed, I don't know who is able to perform this exercise excepted Arevik Seyranyan (probably one of the strongest human who has ever walked the planet) and this athlete.
I absolutely didn't know that higher volume of RC is better than OAC/OAP/OARC for joint prep, interesting !