This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Interesting Technique for Improved Straddle Up

Started by Sean Hunter, January 29, 2015 · 5 Replies · 653 Views

Sean Hunter

I was working with a teacher of the Alexander Technique earlier this week. The Alexander Technique more of an Un-Learning process than a teaching process. It focuses on letting go of old, unconscious patterns of movement. 

 

We focused on leading movement with the Atlanto/Occipital Joint, as opposed to the top of the head. This cues you draws your head up and forward as opposed to down and back.

 

tumblr_m1vab5hSTB1qi77u0.jpg

 

After hours of this practice, i went to train. My MN/PE2 is good, but my torso hadn't been reaching that full upright position similar to the video. However, with the mornings practice still fresh on my mind i decided to begin the straddle up leading from the A/O joint. My form was literally the best it has ever been! My torso was completely upright and my legs were pulling in further. 

 

If you have been struggling with mn/pe2, try leading from the A/O Joint. It takes you on a more upward/diagonal direction, which, I believe, helped "pull" my torso more upright. 

 

Sharing what Helped. Give it a Shot.

 

 

old dude_1969

I'm trying it. Makes sense. Thanks!

Shoes Magoo

I felt that I already had a good straddle up, but this cue makes the effort even more effective. Bravo.

joreilly86

Please excuse me here guys but could you elaborate on that cue a little bit? I don't quite understand your instructions. Lead with the A/O joint - (As in the joint at the top of the neck?)

 

So I initiate the straddle up by moving my arms from a flat horizontal position, then as my torso engages and comes off the ground, my lower body starts the straddle/crunch movement. 

 

What was the difference between your previous form and leading with the A/O joint? Moving up and diagonally as opposed to what?

 

I've been struggling with ROM on this movement for quite a while now. All help is appreciated.

Sean Hunter

Previously i would aim to shoot my chest forward. My chest ended up collapsing down at the top of the position.

 

When i switched to starting the movement from the A/O joint (i.e. top of the neck), it forced me to move more diagonally upward. This resulted in torso remaining more upright at the top of position. 

 

The best advice i can give you is to become aware of the top of your neck (think behind your nose) right before you begin the movement. With that awareness, allow the A/O joint to be the first part of your body that moves. Don't look down. Look diagonally upwards and move in that direction.

 

This and straddle pulses were the two things that helped me most.

BobH

I'm just seeing this now but tried it today and I found it very effective. It's a fairly subtle cue but works surprisingly well. Thanks for posting this.