Lower back pain

Started by Lee, January 29, 2015 · 8 Replies · 3,646 Views

Lee

Hi all, my lower back had always been strained chronically from basketball but wasn't a big issue. Last month I was doing back squats, didn't warm up properly and strained it further. I didn't let it fully recover and continued squatting, deadlifting.

Now, lower back feels really tight and painfulwhen I arch. Can barely reach my toes when I sit down arched back. Back straightened feels better. L sit has become a problem, not to mention V sit.

I've stopped squatting and deadlifting, and will focus solely on Foundation. What are some stretches or ways to speed up the recovery? Thanks in advance!

jules

Take a week or two off until it heals up.  Keeping it warm will speed up recovery.

Blairbob

 Reverse Hypers or Reverse Leg lifts SLOW. Pikey swings on PB or HB or SR. Wipers on the floor or cross  stretch.

Nigel

Nigel's 6 point lower back fixer

 

1. Stretch - stretch hamstrings, psoas, do weighted jefferson curls really slowly, stretch lower back both ways forward & backward

2. Heat - hottish but not scaldingly hot hot water bottle. Lie on it for a while

3. Pain - If you have a friendly masseur/or other back manipulator, get their fingers in your back. Or use 2 tennis balls wrapped in cling film - writhe about on them one bone at a time

4. Start looking for imbalances such as forward or side tilted pelvis, poor shoulder posture etc and straighten them out

5. Misfiring. Start in a tuck position with knees on the floor facing down and arms straight out in front. Move slowly to legs & arms straight, back hollow. In yoga these are called garbhasana/child and bhujangasana/cobra from some pics I found. I'm not a yoga person, but hopefully you'll be able to search for them if you can't understand what I mean. Move slowly between the two for a few days/weeks. After this, go to child pose and concentrate on telling your lower back to relax. When you're convinced it won't misfire spring to cobra pose. Do it bit by bit and take your time with this one, but it will slowly switch off the pattern of misfiring which leads to the spasms and pain.

6. Strength. Long, low weight high reps in squat & deadlift

Alexander Egebak

A good exercise for rehab is kettleball/dumbbell swings. But let your back rest and heal first

Lee

Guys, I really appreciate your help. Will rest well and apply what you have taught. Thanks again:)

Lee

Just to clarify, I was referring to back tight when I round forward, such as Jefferson curl and seated hamstring stretch. It's fine when straightened or arched backwards.

Sorry wasn't clear in first post.

JDelage

Hip stretches and piriformis stretches have made a big positive impact on my lower back pain, so you could experiment with that too.

Alessandro Mainente

for soccer/basketball player/football the problem is in the most of cases the ileopsoas. those type of athletes have simply an alteration of the normal lumbar spine due to the nature of activities that involves the hips flexors while kinking, sprinting, changes of directions and more. V-sit and L-sit should increases the problem. a combination of tight psoas and hamstring is changing your lower joints proportion and this is causing the pain. see a physio.