Tuck Planche & Tuck Front Lever advice

Started by Ursus, January 28, 2015 · 5 Replies · 1,841 Views

Ursus

Hi guys do you mind critiquing my form and giving advice on how to progress. I have been training gymnastics about 3 weeks and right now I do these exercise every day for 4-5 sets of 9-12 seconds.

 

As you can see in the tuck planche video I sometimes have trouble with my hips swinging forward but during the sets I always try and lean more and more foreward. And I'm pretty stumped with the tuck front lever, you can see as I slowly try to extend my hips/legs but theres always that point where I just lose all control. Not sure how to get passed this, right now I'm just trying to toe that line on every set.

 

 

 

http://www.youtu.be/5XtG6yUKELI

 

http://www.youtu.be/v4Fhb1CH2uc

jules

Bottom video is private.

 

1st, you are probably training too often.  2nd, it looks like the tuck planche is a little beyond your current abilities. I would take a step back and focusing on building some volume working on front support holds (top of push up position) emphasizing fully protracted scapulae. A few sets of 60s should put you in a better spot to start working tuck planche.  

 

Also when working the sets, try to maintain the same range/lean forward. Its a losers game to try and advance reps/sets + range of motion at the same time. 

 

Lastly, experiment between training this movement 2-4 times a week. Everyones recovery is different. Worker smarter not harder. 

Ursus

Thanks for the advice. I will incorporate the front support holds into my training and try to maintain the same range on the tuck planches. I have made the tuck front lever video public, any advice on that one?

 

My recovery is pretty good. I've been training every day because I figured frequency trumps volume. Also, I used to lift weights every day so I'm not new to resistance training...though what I'm finding now is that its not muscle soreness getting in the way, rather my joints. I've been getting a sharp pain in my left ulna lately when practicing the tuck planche. Makes sense since I'm 6'0" 200 lbs and have been training this way for only 3 weeks. I'll slow down a bit. 

Ursus

Also, forgot to mention I actually only train gymnastics 5-6 days/week. On one day I deadlift and do other barbell exercises, and sometimes I take day 7 completely off.

Pafke

Planche and front lever if done corectly stresses joints a lot so it would be insane to train them every day even if you are a gymnast since you are born.

No matter how much you weight there should be no pain. Take a breake from planche training as much as it is necessery untile you stop feeling tht pain.

Michael Ho

Keep your hips horizontal and your knees can come into your chest.

 

When you push your knees 90 degrees it will flatten your back out into an adv tuck