This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HS/PE1>iM goal to achieve!

Started by Alessandro Di Sanzo, January 27, 2015 · 6 Replies · 206 Views

Alessandro Di Sanzo

Hi!

I've been working on static seated shoulder flexion. I would like to clarify what should be my goal in order to consider this element mastered.

In substance, how much do I have to pull back my arms, compared to my body line??

Look at the pic. I tried to draw two lines. Currently it looks like my arms are in line with my back line (yellow line). Should my goal be to pull my hands till they are perfectly vertical (read line)?? Or should I simply overpass my back line, even a little bit??

Thank you!

post-10847-142235427899_thumb.png

Keegan

I am no authority on the subject, but I believe 180 degrees of shoulder flexion is sufficient to move on to the next PE/iM pairing.

From looking at your picture though I personally would not say you have reached this point yet. If you look closely at your back you can see that your lower back is in fact slightly arched, your upper back is still slightly Kyphotic, and your ribs are a little flared.

If you were to lay down on your back with your current position your lower back would be off the floor and the bar/your arms would be as well. When you master this, your whole back and arms should be on the floor (this they actually form a straight line, which yours currently do not).

I would start targeting your chest and Lats with stretching (I am doing the same fyi) if you are not already doing so.

Hope this helps.

Alessandro Di Sanzo
Keegan said:

I am no authority on the subject, but I believe 180 degrees of shoulder flexion is sufficient to move on to the next PE/iM pairing.

From looking at your picture though I personally would not say you have reached this point yet. If you look closely at your back you can see that your lower back is in fact slightly arched, your upper back is still slightly Kyphotic, and your ribs are a little flared.

If you were to lay down on your back with your current position your lower back would be off the floor and the bar/your arms would be as well. When you master this, your whole back and arms should be on the floor (this they actually form a straight line, which yours currently do not).

I would start targeting your chest and Lats with stretching (I am doing the same fyi) if you are not already doing so.

Hope this helps.

I only knew that my back was still arched. You clarified me a lot of other stuffs! Thank you so much for your reply Keegan! [emoji2] I will try to fix my form of course!
Jeremy Huston
Keegan said:

When you master this, your whole back and arms should be on the floor.

 

I've always wondered a little about these IM's.  This comment clarified it for me because this is the position of PE4.

Alessandro Di Sanzo
Jeremy Huston said:

I've always wondered a little about these IM's. This comment clarified it for me because this is the position of PE4.

Just to clarify this stuff once for all...

As I lay down, my form is quite similar to this pic. My lower back and arms are not in contact with the ground. So is it possible to lay down with whole body in contact with the ground? I just saw PE4, it looks so! Did I understand well?

Currently I can touch my lower back on the ground only with tucked legs ... [emoji14]

post-10847-142252161787_thumb.jpeg

Jeremy Huston

Yes, whole body on the ground is possible -- and required for PE4.  It's normal to start this one with bent legs to keep lower back down, but legs must be straight for mastery.  Stretch those hip flexors!

 

DSC04572.jpg

Keegan

^^^What he said. It isn't necessary to have the legs straight to master PE1>iM though as you are in a seated position for that exercise (thus your hips are flexed). If you can get the ROM passively (laying on your back with gravity pulling you down) that's good. Then you need to figure out how to replicate that position actively while performing PE1>iM.